How much honey?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TVivian

Reaction score
How much honey do you add to your CP recipes? How much is too much, and what happens if you over do it? Does the scent last? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Soap Making

I put a tbsp ppo. The scent won't last but it contributes lovely bubbles. It heats up so don't insulate too much. Not sure what happens when you use too much.

I used .5oz ppo in my last honey and yogurt batch as per the great wisdom of this forum. It did come out smelling good. Kind of sweet earthy scent. It's been about a week so we will see if that scent sticks or not. My soap was otherwise unscented.
It does get very warm. After I packed my molds I took a reading of 114F (oils mixed at 110F) and the molds were still putting off heat about 12 hours later. I had used vinyl downspout for vertical molds and they ballooned out I assume due to the heat and weight of the soap. The soap on the left is the new one the right pre-ballooned mold.

IMG_1576.jpg

I use about 2tsp ppo. If you use too much you'll get overheating and run the risk of a volcano in your mold. Be super careful soaping honey in combination with other ingredients that overheat like milk or spice EO's. I did recently pick up a nifty trick for saving soap that is overheating: cut it with a knife to dissipate the heat. Wish I had know that a few volcanoes ago!

Sent from my XT907 using Soap Making mobile app

Oh wow that's crazy that it blew up like that! Very interesting. Ok, I will definitely use more next time because I don't think I used enough in the recipe I just made. Thanks!!

Oh wow that's crazy that it blew up like that! Very interesting. Ok, I will definitely use more next time because I don't think I used enough in the recipe I just made. Thanks!!

It's a shame. i really like the shape they are about 2"x3" with the cool ridges. I may get some aluminum ones to try next and hope the enamel can keep the lye from reacting too terribly with the aluminum.

"...I did recently pick up a nifty trick for saving soap that is overheating: cut it with a knife to dissipate the heat...."

I have yet to encounter a volcano, but I'll have to remember your tip, just in case. Thanks for sharing that one!

I use about 2tsp ppo. If you use too much you'll get overheating and run the risk of a volcano in your mold. Be super careful soaping honey in combination with other ingredients that overheat like milk or spice EO's. I did recently pick up a nifty trick for saving soap that is overheating: cut it with a knife to dissipate the heat. Wish I had know that a few volcanoes ago!

How do you make the cut? All the way into/through the soap or do you make multiple scores on the surface?

It's a shame. i really like the shape they are about 2"x3" with the cool ridges. I may get some aluminum ones to try next and hope the enamel can keep the lye from reacting too terribly with the aluminum.

I've got some similarly-shaped plastic drainspouts. Check out Home Depot. Look for the section with gutter stuff. For some reason, Home Depot has the plastic downspouts and Lowes has aluminum.

I've got some similarly-shaped plastic drainspouts. Check out Home Depot. Look for the section with gutter stuff. For some reason, Home Depot has the plastic downspouts and Lowes has aluminum.

Mine were from depot. I'll check out Lowes. Thanks for the tip!

How do you make the cut? All the way into/through the soap or do you make multiple scores on the surface?

Stab it lol longer cut if the overheating is really bad. To a certain extent you can smooth the top back down and the inside will still be soft ad warm enough to effectively melt together. Of course it won't be as pretty as if you didn't have to cut, but it's always worth a try if a rebatch is looking inevitable. I keep meaning to try a skewer next time to see if a smaller puncture will still release enough heat with fewer ugly bars.

I would not use aluminum gutters for soap. But if you choose to, make sure the insides are coated and not just the outside. I would also put them out of doors as soon as poured just in case. Much better to have poison gas out there and not in your home.

Back