how much fragrance oil?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghengis151

Reaction score
Generally speaking, how much fragrance oil should I add for a 5 lb batch of soap? I added about 3oz fo to a 4-5 lb batch and I got an off smell that was similar to olive oil.

I suppose it would depend on the fragrance and how strong it is. But using .7 oz ppo would put you at 3.5 oz for a 5 lb batch. I have used a little more than that depending on the fragrance.

HTH, Laurie

it depends on your method hp because you add later after the cook you don't need so much.

if it is a light fragrance and you gel depending on the flashpoint you could lose the fragrance all together.

i do cp and i use 1 oz. ppo and .5 oz. ppo of strong essential oils. some of the lighter one i use .7

most books recommend .5 to .7 for essential oils and .7 to 1 ppo for fragrance oils.

with the fragrance oils it depends on which supplier they came from, some are better then others.

Thanks for the input. I do cp. I have 4oz of verbena eo. I'm afraid of not using enough so I don't want all that eo to have been wasted. With one of my earlier batches, I used an expensive fo from the body shop (oceanus). What a huge mistake. The second the fo made contact with the solution, my entire batch turned into cement. I was trying to do a swirl pattern of ultramarine blue and titanium dioxide. After another second had passed, my soap had the consistency of cottage cheese. None of the fo was transferred after gelling. I was so disappointed with that batch. Oh well, you learn from your mistakes.
-Rick

Back