How much FO per pound?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brian0523

Reaction score
Ok the recipe I'm using makes a 2lb batch. It says to use .6 oz of FO, but in the last two batches the FO was too weak.

Can I safely bump that up to 1 ounce FO for a 2lb batch?

Brian, Marr nailed the answer I was going to give you on the head. :) I have always used between .8 to 1 full ounce PPO depending on the FO and the supplier. Some lesser known or cheaper suppliers cut their FO's with DPG to make it go further. Sticking with well known FO suppliers who are reputable you are safe. I like to smell my soap in the shower and personally prefer the 1 ounce PPO. For selling to others, I generally use .85 PPO.

Paul

I know you are talking about CP, bu i thought since the subject has been brought up I would mention I would not go over 1/2oz per pound in M&P and even at that, it's probably twice as much as you need.

Good point, Tab. M&P is much "nicer" to the FO's and EO's than CP is during the saponification process where some is burnt off. That is the beast with CP. Even HP you can use less than .85 to 1 ounce PPO, but CP, gotta up those scents. :)

Paul.... :wink:

Back