How much FO can you actually use?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lane

Reaction score
I am using Peak's Shaving soap to help with the lather, I read more FO means lass lather??

My brother wants a STRONG scented (Cool Water, from WSP) soap. I was just wondering if anyone has done more than .70 oz per pound for MP and still gotten good results?... I know it has to be skin safe...but really, how high can you go?

It will only be a 4 oz bar of soap...

Thank you!

wsp recommends for mp up to 3% fragrance

so for 16 oz. that would be .48 oz.

i have always used 1 T per pound for any fragrance in mp, which is 1/2 oz.

barb

My sniffer isn't the best. so I usually add at least around 1 oz. of fragrance per pound. It probably cuts the lather down a little as I am always wishing my soap was more bubbly. Never really thought about it untill you just mentioned it here.

In a way that all that fragrance is actually excess oils that go unsapofied, adding to the superfat. Or like cleaning greasy hands. It doesn't really lather untill the grease is cleaned off and the 2nd washing is way more lathery. So my thinking is that if one did less of a superfat, there would be more lather.

It has been my experience Tht if you add 1/2oz of frgarance, it smells the same as if you added 1oz or 1 1/2oz. Once you hit fragrance saturation it is not going to get any stronger by adding more, IMHO. I always feel like saturation is at about 1/2oz per pound. The only exception I have found S)S scents where I need more.

The cool water from WSP is potent.

Tabitha said:
It has been my experience Tht if you add 1/2oz of frgarance, it smells the same as if you added 1oz or 1 1/2oz. Once you hit fragrance saturation it is not going to get any stronger by adding more, IMHO. I always feel like saturation is at about 1/2oz per pound. The only exception I have found S)S scents where I need more.

The cool water from WSP is potent.

Tabitha, is it 1/2 oz total regardless of amount of soap you are making or is it per pound?

any updates on this?

Having issues with my FO...

I used -- based on mfg recommendations -- .42 oz ppo.

That's at 2.75% of oils -- for a "strong" scent in my soap.

When I used it in the shower, you couldn't smell it at all.

When the soap is dry, it smells fine.

Weird.

Does all handmade soap act this way?

Soapy, I share your questioning. I've been using 1 oz ppo CP and it's just barely in the zone in most fragrances.

Back