How much essential oil?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all! I am about to make a batch of patchouli soap after a long absence from soap making.

I will be making 40 bars at 5 oz. each (5130 gms of oil).

How much EO should I use? 16 oz or 8 oz? (I tend to scent on the heavy side). I am leaning toward 16 oz. but if that is just WAY too much, I'd like to know, considering how expensive the darned stuff is. I can't remember the amount I used to use.

Find Free Essential Oil Blends - Modern Soapmaking May help you out. :) I've never used patchouli, but a member on here showed me the calculator, and it's been a great resource for me. I'm sure someone else more experienced than me will have a better answer.

I entered patchouli oil in the blend calculator, along with your 5130 grams of oil. These are the recommended usage rates listed in EOCalc.
Screenshot_20210725-172816.png

Last edited:
I will be making 40 bars at 5 oz. each (5130 gms of oil).How much EO should I use? 16 oz or 8 oz? (I tend to scent on the heavy side). I am leaning toward 16 oz. but if that is just WAY too much, I'd like to know, considering how expensive the darned stuff is.
That is indeed WAY too much. I use MMS Fragrance Calc. They recommend 3.6 oz Patchouly EO for heavily scented, but you can halve that for a lightly scented batch.

I'll preface this by saying I'm a BIG patchouli lover but I'd definitely go with at least 8 oz for that size batch. In fact I use it at 1 oz per lb of oils if I'm not mixing it with another oil. So for a 5130g batch that would be 11.3 ounces if my math is right - but I'm only on my first cup of coffee so double check me on that! ☕🥱

I didn't double check the IFRA amounts for patchouli in soap last night. It is safe to use at 1 ounce PPO. I agree with KiwiMoose and FiddleFoot. I love patchouli and I would also use the 9 oz amount minimum. It's hard to describe what I think is strong vs what you think is strong.

I'll preface this by saying I'm a BIG patchouli lover but I'd definitely go with at least 8 oz for that size batch. - but I'm only on my first cup of coffee so double check me on that! ☕🥱

I made a batch of patchouli soap 2 years ago. I still have half that batch left and it still has a strong scent to it. If I have a few bars on a table next to me, I can smell it. After I have showered with it and go out into the public, I love it when people ask me, "Oh! Is that patchouli you are wearing?" I give bars to patchouli-loving friends and they still rave about it.

I have half of a 32 oz bottle of it left. (Yes, it is still good as I will explain in another post). The question in my mind is, "How much did I use of that bottle in my last batch?" Based on what is left in the bottle, it had to be either 8 or 16 oz. It is so expensive, I'd hate to use 8 oz only to find that it was not strong enough.

I have half of a 32 oz bottle of it left. (Yes, it is still good as I will explain in another post). The question in my mind is, "How much did I use of that bottle in my last batch?" Based on what is left in the bottle, it had to be either 8 or 16 oz. It is so expensive, I'd hate to use 8 oz only to find that it was not strong enough.
That's why I'd do a test batch. Because looking at it the other way, you'd hate to use 16 oz if 8 oz would be enough. Make a small batch, split it and try half at each strength.

If you know you made the same size batch the last time you used the patchouli EO, try looking at your order history from the supplier you purchased it from. That might give you a clue as to how much you used in that last batch. Of course, it also doesn't help if there is the possibility that you used some from a previous bottle and some from the bottle you still have. For what it's worth, I like strongly scented soap, but I don't use more than 1 oz PPO (assuming that usage rate is safe).

If you still have your recipe (printed out or stored somewhere on your computer) does it have any information on what amount you used?

"How much did I use of that bottle in my last batch?"
It seems to me that a bit of testing is in order so that you can be confident of the amount you use. Assuming you will be using the same soap formula as you did before (?) because that's half the battle of getting an essential oil to "stick", here's a thread that explains how I Test FOs EOs Colorants to get the result I want.

HTH and Good Luck!

I made a batch of patchouli soap 2 years ago. I still have half that batch left and it still has a strong scent to it. If I have a few bars on a table next to me, I can smell it. After I have showered with it and go out into the public, I love it when people ask me, "Oh! Is that patchouli you are wearing?" I give bars to patchouli-loving friends and they still rave about it.

I think you're going to like it at 1 oz ppo but as others have said, a small test batch is probably the wisest course so as not waste a drop of that precious aged patchouli!

try looking at your order history from the supplier you purchased it from. That might give you a clue as to how much you used in that last batch.
If you still have your recipe (printed out or stored somewhere on your computer) does it have any information on what amount you used?

I went back to my supplier and I think I have my answer. I remember I paid around $100 (Canadian) for a bottle of patchouli. They are selling 250 ml for $112. So I must have used that! 250 ml equals 8.5 fluid oz.

Thanks for all the help, you guys!

Latest posts

Back