How much EO do I put in salt soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clouser

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I'm a newbie that has six batches of soap under my belt so far. I still have a lot to learn. My recipes are still basic, but all have turned out great so far.

With the latest talk about the benefits of salt soap, I'm looking to make a batch for my wife and daughter since both of them deal with mild acne from time to time. I plan on using 80% CO, 20% olive oil, and 45% salt with a 20% SF. My oil weight will be 20 oz. of CO and 5 oz. of olive oil, so 11.25 oz. of salt.

I want to add lavender EO, and I'm trying to decide how much to use. I went to Bramble Berry fragrance calculator, but I'm not sure what I should input as ounces. Should I just use the weight of the oils (25 oz.), or should I use the weight of my oil AND salt (36.25 oz.)?

Thanks in advance.

IMO, you should use weight of oils. That's the basis most people use for calculating the amount of scent to use in soap.

IMO, you should use weight of oils. That's the basis most people use for calculating the amount of scent to use in soap.
Thanks DeeAnna. That's what I figured, but I wanted to make sure. If I used the combined weight of oils and salt, that's a lot of EO!

I think you could make a good point for basing the scent on the total fluid weight, although that's not how soapers typically handle this kind of thing. But the salt is a solid and won't "absorb" any scent, so it still doesn't make sense to include it in the calculation.

Back