How much do you spend on packaging/labels?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wrap my with Kraft paper and then put a transparent label over the top of it. I just started doing this way a month or so ago. I used to print right onto the Kraft paper and then pre-crease the paper to match the soap size, but found many times the crease to not always come out where it needed to on the soap. Now I don't crease them at all, I just lay my soap onto the Kraft paper and crease it as I wrap the bar. Then I attach my pre-printed transparent label to Kraft paper. I makes for a nice clean looking label that always comes out perfectly where it needs to lay onto the soap. The Kraft wrap cost about $.20 cents per label and the transparent label cost $0.062 cents per label so ends up being about 26 cents per bar of soap.
Looks great!!

Here you don’t even have to label. How things are labeled will depend on where someone lives. I list what goes into the pot. Everyone needs to read up on requirements.
Sure, but if you DO list ingredients, aren't you supposed to l list them all? You don't just pick and choose what you list?

I list everything also. Even on giveaway soaps for friends and family that I do not have to. I understand that I don't "have to", but morally I do. I would never buy soap that did not have ingredients, so I assume everyone is that way. And you never know if someone is going to give a bar away. So someone might be allergic to an ingredient. It just helps me sleep at night.

Per
I list everything also. Even on giveaway soaps for friends and family that I do not have to. I understand that I don't "have to", but morally I do. I would never buy soap that did not have ingredients, so I assume everyone is that way. And you never know if someone is going to give a bar away. So someone might be allergic to an ingredient. It just helps me sleep at night.

Exactly!

My SIL told me that for her Christmas swap with her new fiber group (something to do with her weaving hobby) she planned to put together a gift set of some of the soaps I have given her. She was asking what kind of container would be appropriate (i.e.; tin or basket, etc.). I was taken aback at first, but then chose to take it as a compliment. But of course, now I realize I may be giving them too much soap because they have more than they can use. Still, it occurred to me to go take a closer look at the labels on the soaps I had given her. I even considered taking some back and re-labeling them, but did not do so because that's a good 2000 miles away from home.

I assume (not being the person this happened to) that it may be the quality of the ink in combination with the texture of the paper. In my experience laser printers create a better quality than ink jet printers, and I have had inkjet ink smear or wear off of rough paper quite easily during handling.
The new inkjet inks are very durable. I used inkjet printers years ago and found the inks ran, smeared, misbehaved. We bought a new inkjet printer last year and while I generally use my laser printer for my labels, I do use the inkjet printer for a couple of our unique soaps with no problems.

I use only a laser printer. I used a laser printer when I had a wine labeling business, and it's the only thing that doesn't run.

I list everything that goes in the soap. Oils, butters, lye, SL, milk, micas and fragrance. I list in order from most to least.
Right, but Zany left out any reference to lye. That's why, in my original msg, I said that judging by the ingredient list, I would expect it to come with a spoon...
I know ingredients aren't required, but if you do list them, you should be accurate, no?

The new inkjet inks are very durable. I used inkjet printers years ago and found the inks ran, smeared, misbehaved. We bought a new inkjet printer last year and while I generally use my laser printer for my labels, I do use the inkjet printer for a couple of our unique soaps with no problems.

Technology just keeps on giving us new and better stuff. I don't know when I will be replacing my printers, but surely it will happen sometime in the next decade or so. When I do, I am looking forward to all the bells & whistles I can afford, as long as they are something I will use.

Also one of these days, I might actually look at how much money I do spend on labelling my hobby (not a business) soaps. But I know the initial set up costs would have to include the cost of my impulse sealer, the DeWalt heat gun, both of which were quite an investment for a hobbyist. The printer, I already had, but when it gets replaced, it will probably be primarily for printing soap labels as we don't print a lot of pages of anything else anymore. That would have to be factored in.

The cost of paper and other embellishments do add up over time. I've used burlap, ribbons, and all kinds of fancy papers, but tend to buy them at reduced pricing whenever I can. I have quite a collection.

I have yet to actually invest in soap boxes, although I did buy a couple dozen once at a de-stash & sort of liked using them. But they were so plain, I still added embellishments. So I have not been tempted to buy soap boxes due to the added expense. I have considered making my own with paper, but only gave it a try once and wasn't thrilled with the result.

Some folks wrap their soaps in fabric, which is kind of cute, but the soap inside isn't visible, so I haven't given that much thought. Maybe one day I will if I decide to do something with the fabric I still have besides quilting.

Right, but Zany left out any reference to lye. That's why, in my original msg, I said that judging by the ingredient list, I would expect it to come with a spoon...
I know ingredients aren't required, but if you do list them, you should be accurate, no?

my understanding of the labeling requirements in the US is that soap that is intended for washing is not required to be labeled at all. soap that is intended for a cosmetic or medicinal purpose DOES require labeling.

that being said, even though no label is required, it is permitted. if we choose to label, we need to follow specific guidelines. ingredients must be listed from highest to lowest quantity, and must be worded using the scientific name of each ingredient. we can list what goes into the pot, or what comes out of the pot (oils and lye OR saponified oil of whatever), but not a combination thereof. many people choose to list what comes out of the pot in order to avoid using the words lye or sodium hydroxide, but either way is correct.

my understanding of the labeling requirements in the US is that soap that is intended for washing is not required to be labeled at all. soap that is intended for a cosmetic or medicinal purpose DOES require labeling.

that being said, even though no label is required, it is permitted. if we choose to label, we need to follow specific guidelines. ingredients must be listed from highest to lowest quantity, and must be worded using the scientific name of each ingredient. we can list what goes into the pot, or what comes out of the pot (oils and lye OR saponified oil of whatever), but not a combination thereof. many people choose to list what comes out of the pot in order to avoid using the words lye or sodium hydroxide, but either way is correct.

First, labeling is required per the Federal Trade Commission's Fair Packaging and Labeling Act. So a label is required for soap in the U.S.

Edit to clarify: Ingredients may be left out for soap that is only soap and not a cosmetic or drug, BUT the other labeling requirements must be met.

Second, Intent is not the only factor which determines the labeling requirements of soap. There are other factors, such as how the soap is perceived by the public or the customer. There are common perceptions about certain ingredients that make some soaps cosmetic, or drugs, or both, no matter what the soap maker intends. AND if the customer does in fact say they are buying a particular soap for cosmetic or medicinal reasons, that will mean the soap should be labeled as such.

BUT for just plain soap without those types of ingredients, the common name and not the scientific name on the ingredients list is still acceptable within the US regulations at this point.

This is a quote from the FTC regulations directly from the US government website:

(3) require that the label on each package of a consumer commodity (other than one which is a food within the meaning of section 321(f) of title 21) bear (A) the common or usual name of such consumer commodity, if any, and (B) in case such consumer commodity consists of two or more ingredients, the common or usual name of each such ingredient listed in order of decreasing predominance, but nothing in this paragraph shall be deemed to require that any trade secret be divulged; or

The URL for the page upon which that is found:

http://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml?req=granuleid:USC-prelim-title15-chapter39&edition=prelim

FTC Fair Packaging & Labeling Act: https://www.ftc.gov/enforcement/statutes/fair-packaging-and-labeling-act

Incidentally, if you check your state regulations, you may find the exact same wording in your state regulations as well. It's in many many state regulations in the US. So even if the Feds drop that requirement, you still have to follow the laws in the states in which you sell soaps.

More about Common Names by Marie Gale, the foremost expert in the US on labeling requirements for soaps and cosmetics made by folks such as ourselves:

https://www.mariegale.com/what-is-the-common-name/

That could change in the future, of course. There are bills before Congress addressing some of these things. One change will be that they are now being called Personal Care Products.

Additionally, there are hazardous ingredients labeling regulations as well, and in some cases, the potential exists wherein soap might be required to include such labeling. (Example: soap with toxic substances included as an ingredient. - I have seen people discuss adding turpentine to soap, for example.)

https://www.cpsc.gov/Business--Manufacturing/Business-Education/Business-Guidance/FHSA-Requirements/

Last edited:

I'm sorry, yes you are correct. Lye should be listed. I just put Sodium Hydroxide. In all the years I've been soaping I think I've had 1 or 2 people ask what it is.

I have both an inkjet and laser. Inkjet always bleeds with just a bit of rain. I use my laser for all my labels. On my sugar scrubs I use the waterproof labels and they hold up really well.

I buy Georgia-Pacific card stock from Office Max. White 110 - 150 sheets - 8.5" x 11". I print 3 cigar band type labels per sheet. 3 X 150 sheets = 450 labels. The bands fit around the bars perfectly with the ends open for sniffing. I don't remember how much I pay for the card stock, but it comes to about 3¢ per cigar band.
View attachment 36931
I know this is an older post. What app do you use Zany for making these?

I know this is an older post. What app do you use Zany for making these?
I'm sorry to have to tell you, Cat, that I used an old graphics program called Appleworks that came with my first iMac in 1995. We're talking "older than dirt here". LOL I haven't made cigar bands in quite a while, but when I do, I plan on using a newly installed app called Pages.

I invested in a paper cutter and it has helped tremendously!! I designed a template that has my logo and info on the sides of the bar, and a spots that line up with the front for the name and back of the bar for ingredients. So all I have to do is fill in the blanks, print and cut! It’s definitely been worth the time I spent designing my label. I use Canva to design and it’s free to use!
Hello Amy,
Iv been struggling with designing the label for my soaps on canva. I managed to design a label and saved it. I donot have the paid version. I'm using the free one.
I designed and saved with the intention of using the same design / format / template ( which ever is the correct word I'm not sure)and just editing the name of the soap each time as my soap recipe will remain the same except the EO and colour changes .
But I realised I am not able to edit it .. it does not get ungrouped once saved . After many many trials and looking for help online I hit upon your thread .
Can u please let me know how do u edit it keeping the logo and other text as it is except the main heading to edit.?looking forward.....

I purchase blank labels from Onlinelabels.com and then I use their program called Maestro Designer to make my labels. I can save and change as much as I want and add pictures to my labels also. I package my labels in Organza fabric bags that tie with a sewn in ribbon. The label I just lay onto the soap right before sliding the soap into the bag. This has really worked out great. The soaps can breath and no more cigar labels getting loose and siding around on the bar of soap.

Attachments

• tempImagebRTErL.png
    tempImagebRTErL.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 40
I purchase blank labels from Onlinelabels.com and then I use their program called Maestro Designer to make my labels. I can save and change as much as I want and add pictures to my labels also. I package my labels in Organza fabric bags that tie with a sewn in ribbon. The label I just lay onto the soap right before sliding the soap into the bag. This has really worked out great. The soaps can breath and no more cigar labels getting loose and siding around on the bar of soap.

Wow, that looks really nice. I initially thought all the info from the label was stamped onto the soap. I only figured it out because I zoomed into the picture to see what you were talking about. Really looks great!

Hello Amy,
Iv been struggling with designing the label for my soaps on canva. I managed to design a label and saved it. I donot have the paid version. I'm using the free one.
I designed and saved with the intention of using the same design / format / template ( which ever is the correct word I'm not sure)and just editing the name of the soap each time as my soap recipe will remain the same except the EO and colour changes .
But I realised I am not able to edit it .. it does not get ungrouped once saved . After many many trials and looking for help online I hit upon your thread .
Can u please let me know how do u edit it keeping the logo and other text as it is except the main heading to edit.?looking forward.....
I am a long-time Adobe Photoshop and Adobe InDesign user. When I retired, I no longer had access to the application and I find it way too expensive for me to purchase as an individual. For designing labels, I use Affinity Photo and Affinity Publisher. Affinity Photo allows you to create, import, edit graphics and Affinity Publisher is great for actually paying out labels, creating brochures, price lists, etc. They are “one price and done”, unlike Adobe that costs an arm and a leg and then requires payments for updates.

Latest posts

Back