How much do you spend on packaging/labels?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I invested in a paper cutter and it has helped tremendously!! I designed a template that has my logo and info on the sides of the bar, and a spots that line up with the front for the name and back of the bar for ingredients. So all I have to do is fill in the blanks, print and cut! It’s definitely been worth the time I spent designing my label. I use Canva to design and it’s free to use!

Attachments

• 10FE0610-234E-47C4-8034-BA789DFB289F.jpeg
    10FE0610-234E-47C4-8034-BA789DFB289F.jpeg
    35.4 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
I invested in a paper cutter and it has helped tremendously!! I designed a template that has my logo and info on the sides of the bar, and a spots that line up with the front for the name and back of the bar for ingredients. So all I have to do is fill in the blanks, print and cut! It’s definitely been worth the time I spent designing my label. I use Canva to design and it’s free to use!
Lovely

@Cherrydene soapy In the US as long as it's just soap you can just list the ingredients. Once it crosses over into cosmetics you need to us inci and standard name in ()
Except....didn't we have this discussion about how you need to either list before (oils + lye) or after (sodium cocoate, sodium tallowate)? From my reading of this ingredient list, it should come with a spoon.....

Best practice is to always use the INCI names. One it is more professional and two if you wholesale some of those accounts could be in States where the requirements are different. It saves you from having to have different labels.

Except....didn't we have this discussion about how you need to either list before (oils + lye) or after (sodium cocoate, sodium tallowate)? From my reading of this ingredient list, it should come with a spoon.....

Here you don’t even have to label. How things are labeled will depend on where someone lives. I list what goes into the pot. Everyone needs to read up on requirements.

I noticed that when you have added your ingredients you haven’t used the INCI name for your oils? I am new to soap making and was under the impression that you had to do this, I may be confused about this:( do you list them somewhere else? Sorry for all the questions xx
Good question, Cherry!
Yep. The rules for soap are different from those that apply to other bath and body products like lotion. You have options. I prefer listing the oils by common name rather than the INCI nomenclature because that's what I and my customers like... we want to know what's in the bar.

BTW, SoapCalc gives the INCI -- if you want to check it out, look in the upper right corner of the "View" page.

INCI Names.png

Last edited:
Good question, Cherry!
Yep. The rules for soap are different from those that apply to other bath and body products like lotion. You have options. I prefer listing the oils by common name rather than the INCI nomenclature because that's what I and my customers like... we want to know what's in the bar.

BTW, SoapCalc gives the INCI -- if you want to check it out, look in the upper right corner of the "View" page.

View attachment 36960
My customers like this as well. Glad we’re in the US!

While there are thousands of ideas of how to create labels and packaging, how much should one budget?

Generally when you’re selling the product you want to balance between keeping costs down and achieving a look that works with your branding.

There’s lots of good ideas here. I have tried most everything that people have mentioned and I’m heading towards more professional options because I’ll be selling product as soon as I’ve registered my recipies with health Canada.

For me I want packaging that stands up to humidity in the bathroom and wet hands.

I’ve yet to find a home-made option that does that well.

For things like soap labels and wraps you can do this for pennies per unit and go up from there.

I currently use card stock soap wrap labels from creative labels and laser print them myself.

Cost is $0.35 / label

This is ok because soap labels and wraps are discarded but for my lotions and deodorants I pay up to 3 dollars per unit. It’s expensive but I see no way around it :)

Generally when you’re selling the product you want to balance between keeping costs down and achieving a look that works with your branding.

There’s lots of good ideas here. I have tried most everything that people have mentioned and I’m heading towards more professional options because I’ll be selling product as soon as I’ve registered my recipies with health Canada.

For me I want packaging that stands up to humidity in the bathroom and wet hands.

I’ve yet to find a home-made option that does that well.

For things like soap labels and wraps you can do this for pennies per unit and go up from there.

I currently use card stock soap wrap labels from creative labels and laser print them myself.

Cost is $0.35 / label

This is ok because soap labels and wraps are discarded but for my lotions and deodorants I pay up to 3 dollars per unit. It’s expensive but I see no way around it :)
I print on cardstock and then laminate them with laminating sheets. It's a pretty inexpensive option to waterproof the labels.. I'm now looking into some eco friendly options, like printing on water soluable paper. Just wash it down the drain!

2-4cents per bar. I sell, so it's more cost effective for me to buy shrink bands and sticker labels in bulk. It also makes it easier to watch for sales too. When I first started I used paper bands, which were cheap, but a huge time suck for me to create and cut. (I has no skillz)
You can get perforated soap wraps from here. Their costs are reasonable and you don't have to cut anything.

I print on cardstock and then laminate them with laminating sheets. It's a pretty inexpensive option to waterproof the labels.. I'm now looking into some eco friendly options, like printing on water soluable paper. Just wash it down the drain!

Does the laminating process make the card stock really firm? Is this for soaps or bottles? (I'm wondering if it would work on bottles)

Last edited by a moderator:
As your Biz changes or what 'look" you want and mostly... money to spend.

I just decided to change to Boxes from card stock wrapped soaps for several reasons.
Super good price, my stocking issues both at home and at fairs.
It still is a Recycle product since I do not do plastic and that fits into my look.

If you asked me 3 months ago I would not have used a box

yeah, boxes don't seem to "stick" in my brain as an option and I really like that idea. Boxes look nice and like you say, recycle easily which is ever-more important these days.

Cost is $0.35 / label

Weatherproof labels from Avery hold up to moisture, but you do not get creative shapes. I use 2"x 4" weatherproof labels.

I just ordered some of those to try. I got the GWS all weather labels. I can't wait to see how they turn out.

edit: I've been meaning to try these guys but I think they're expensive. Nice products though.
https://www.mpilabels.com

While there are thousands of ideas of how to create labels and packaging, how much should one budget?

I've used a bunch of different labeling and packaging. I like to design labels using Publisher and printing 4 per page. I also like brown kraft paper with labels I design and stick on. Pretty printed paper with a label is nice too. I tried boxes and didn't really care for it. Some wraps I like more rustic and some more sophisticated. It's almost as fun for me as making the soap. None of these are very expensive, pennies per bar.

I just finished reading a book by Marie Gale titled Soap & Cosmetic Labeling....what an eye opener of labeling my soap....The do's & don't's on labeling....I never would have thought there was so much to it... Good luck!!!
Good info in the blog! I always list my ingredients as saponified oils of _____.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back