How much colorant is too much?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jennyannlowe

Reaction score
I always see beautiful soaps that people have created online, with beautiful swirls. When I mix mica with the batter, I always worry about the lather being too darkly colored. Is this something to worry about? Using too much and therefore staining people's towels? I've stopped using much color for the time being.

Too much can certainly color a wash cloth. I use 1-2 tsp ppo. Sometimes more sometimes less. Just depends on the color. I can also say that it's never permanently colored anything. It always comes out in the wash. Reds, blacks and darker colors are the biggest offenders. Even dark purple or green if too heavy handed.

Red Clay and Brown Oxide can also stain. My soaps carry a disclosure on the label to use a dark wash cloth

I tell family I gift my soap to that "My soap is so memorable it stains your washcloths. No seriously, use a poof." I have had cloths discolor, but not stain. But I do have some seriously dark colored soaps I haven't tried with a wash cloth because I don't want to risk it.

I purposely use white washcloths with my soap when I shower so I can see if I added too much colorant to them. Whenever I notice any color on the cloths, and/or if I notice colored lather going down the drain, I just make note of it and use less next time. To date, none of the colorants have caused any permanent stains on my cloths or in my shower, but I like things best when the colorants don't bleed out of my soap.

IrishLass :)

I purposely use white washcloths with my soap when I shower so I can see if I added too much colorant to them. Whenever I notice any color on the cloths, and/or if I notice colored lather going down the drain, I just make note of it and use less next time. To date, none of the colorants have caused any permanent stains on my cloths or in my shower, but I like things best when the colorants don't bleed out of my soap.

IrishLass :)

^^^
I do this too. Why would anyone want their skin or cloths stained while they are trying to wash?

Any of my soaps that stain are turned into confetti at a low % rate. Have to say though that my colour problem is one of too much water added to mix the colours rather than too much colour.

Latest posts

Back