How much colorant and EO/FO PPO in HP do you use?

Soapmaking Forum - Soap & Candle Forums

Help Support Soapmaking Forum - Soap & Candle Forums:

goji_fries

Reaction score
I made a 52 oz HP batch using 1.3oz worth of EO's. The blend of: ylang ylang extra, tuberose, nutmeg and patchouli. I throttled back the usual EO PPO to 0.6 PPO for HP and used annatto for colorant. The annatto didn't really do squat and so I resorted to brambleberry red and orange. Still not much difference.

For maximum effect, how much colorant and FO/EO do you guys use in your recipes?

SAM_0516.JPG

wetshavingproducts

Reaction score
5% PPO, but I'm thinking of and have been bumping it to 5% PPO + additives.

I don't want to exceed skin safe levels according to IFRA, so I limit myself with that. Some scents have too many top notes that evaporate off though.

goji_fries

Reaction score
5% PPO, but I'm thinking of and have been bumping it to 5% PPO + additives.

I don't want to exceed skin safe levels according to IFRA, so I limit myself with that. Some scents have too many top notes that evaporate off though.
You have those IFRA rules in the UK or is it EU also?

goji_fries

Reaction score
Well, I don't know about you, but the last thing I need is customers with reactions to FO's because I used too much.
A few yrs ago I was reading about the difference between IFRA rules and the US rules. Some were ok here and not okay there and vice versa. I began reading about this when the IFRA just about nearly banned oakmoss EO/ oakmoss absolute.

The Efficacious Gentleman

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
You can ask the supplier for the maximum amounts based on specific EO/FO - they should be able to provide that.

Then as for the total amount used, I use about 3% in HP soaps. I might look to push that higher a little bit, but a lot more for shaving soaps.

Latest posts