How much color to use??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ballininthamix

Reaction score
Hey guys, I searched a little and didn't find this info anywhere. I'm getting ready to try my first colored batch of soap and was wondering how much mica/oxide I should use.

ballininthamix said:
Hey guys, I searched a little and didn't find this info anywhere. I'm getting ready to try my first colored batch of soap and was wondering how much mica/oxide I should use.

Are you doing cp or m&p?

Good question - I want to know, too! How much colorant? Is it per pound? A creative thing, based on how much color you want? More colorant for deeper colors?

ballininthamix said:

I used this link to get an idea of where to start.

http://www.brambleberry.com/colorinst.html

For me, it is kind of part of the fun trying to figure out just what looks the best and suits me. The link seemed like a good starting place though. HTH

~ear

KnitchyFingers said:
Good question - I want to know, too! How much colorant? Is it per pound? A creative thing, based on how much color you want? More colorant for deeper colors?

I fly by the seat of my pants when I color, which I don't advocate. I've had some interesting results, though.

In colorants, more doesn't always mean deeper color. Well, it can, but more just usually bleeds out.

I don't use micas in cp as the effects of shimmer (which micas are know for) are lost to cp.

I've left the world of ultramarines & oxides for bramble barry's Lab Colors - high ph for cp soaping. It's soooooooooooo much easier to use, & I just don't get all the morphing I was getting with ultramarines.

As for useage amounts, brambleberry.com gives some info on that.

Back