how much coconut oil in face bars?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalia

Reaction score
I have doubts how much precentge of coconut oil to put in my face bars. it's going to be a charcoal face bar, in the green clay bars I put 25% of coconut oil and it was ok, but ussuly I recommend it to people with more oily skin. but I think that maybe 20% will be enough, because the skin of the face is more dlicate and I don't want that it will cause dryness.

I would go with 5-10% or you could leave it out altogether. I use 20% in my regular bars, its too much for my face.

My input is coming from the perspective as a woman who never uses soap on my face since I was a teen, so for about 58 years now, and as someone living in (probably) a completely different climate. I believe climate has a lot to do with what type of soap one will prefer, as does skin type. I have not been to Israel, but my guess is that your climate and mine are vastly different, particularly if you are in the east or the south, but probably also true overall.

My recommendation is to find out what people in your area prefer for facial cleansing. If soap is preferred (& by whom), then determine what type of soap they prefer on their face?

Example: some men in my family use the same soap on their faces as they use for bathing. Some women in my family do also, but far fewer. Many women and girls I know never use soap on their faces.

I would go with 5-10% or you could leave it out altogether. I use 20% in my regular bars, its too much for my face.
if you put a low percentage of coconut oil in your soap, how do you succeed to balance your hard oils and soft oils (40% soft oil, 60% hard oil%). I do understand its not a must, but I want a balanced soap bar

if you put a low percentage of coconut oil in your soap, how do you succeed to balance your hard oils and soft oils (40% soft oil, 60% hard oil%). I do understand its not a must, but I want a balanced soap bar

Other hard oils you can use are cocoa butter, shea butter, mango butter, kokum butter, sal butter, illipe butter, soy wax (I use GW415), palm oil, PKO, palm stearin, palmolein, sal butter, illipe butter, steaic acid, and some people use animal fats (I prefer not to, but that is a matter of personal choice.) Some folks add a small percentage of beeswax (3%) to create a harder bar as well.

In fact, if a facial bar is what you are after, I'd suggest using some of the luxury butters if you are able to source them.

because the skin of the face is more dlicate and I don't want that it will cause dryness.
I'm 78 years old and have dry sensitive mature skin. I use ZNSC (85% olive oil, 10% coconut oil, 5% castor oil variation) on my face in the AM & PM. The cold cream like lather rinses off easily, leaving my face clean and not drying at all.

If adding activated charcoal, I would keep it to 1% -- less chance of discoloring washcloth and minimal exfoliation that can be drying.

HTH

Latest posts

Back