how much Coconut oil for a face soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recently made soap with 30% hemp oil. Granted, it's only been 4 weeks but it's a lovely, fairly hard soap.

Here are the percentages I used:

10% castor
30% coconut oil
30% hemp oil
15% palm oil
15% shea oil

It lathers well, it feels good on the skin, it smells like hemp. I'm keeping an eye out for DOS but it's probably a bit early at this point. I haven't used it as a face soap yet, only because I like to let any soap used on my face to cure at least 6 weeks.

I'll be waiting for update as well, I started using hemp oil almost 2 years ago, I loved the soap but never went over 10% with high % of hard oils.

I can't imagine a better facial bar than the 'Genny / Lindy' Shampoo Bar recipe:

Water as percent of oil weight: 35%
Superfat: 6%

Avocado Oil: 30%
Castor Oil: 10%
Olive Oil: 40%
Shea Butter: 10%
Soybean Oil: 10%

AWESOME as a facial bar!

Have you tried it as a shampoo bar too?

Defo going to give this a try with a few changes to the oils because I don't have soybean oil or avocado oil, even better if it works well as a shampoo bar too.

Have you tried it as a shampoo bar too?

Defo going to give this a try with a few changes to the oils because I don't have soybean oil or avocado oil, even better if it works well as a shampoo bar too.

I have and used it for about 8 months after which I had so much damage to my hair I I had to have it cut extremely short. Some can use soap on their hair but many have had considerable damage.

I have and used it for about 8 months after which I had so much damage to my hair I I had to have it cut extremely short. Some can use soap on their hair but many have had considerable damage.

Oh im aware of that potential issue but i am willing to give it a go i made a shampoo bar that my scalp hates saying that so does my hair but it makes a really luxorious feeling hand and body soap my hands feel really nice after using it so at least it worked out. I would say i would look considerably more presentable with very short hair as opposed to the long very wild and uncontrollable hair i have going on now although i did shave my head once and was compared to Phil Mitchell which might mean nothing to you but it was far from a compliment

Last edited:
This particular soap ended up getting DOS fairly quickly. As much as I love hemp oil in soap, I won't be making it again.
Thank you for the update, with 78 % of linoleic and Linolenic acid in hemp oil, yes it will go rancid.

My favorite facial soap is 75-80% OO, 10-15% CO, 5-10% castor. Different % are because sometimes I vary it depending on what I have available at the time. So mild and soft with nice creamy suds. I use it when my face breaks out especially in the summer.

Why is no one talking about or using ROE to prevent DOS from the Hemp oil? I thought I learned that on this forum? :confused:

Why is no one talking about or using ROE to prevent DOS from the Hemp oil? I thought I learned that on this forum? :confused:
Because ROE is not a universal panacea. Some oils are prone to rancidity and it is too difficult to fight it. So much easier to choose oils that are long lived.

Latest posts

Back