How much borax in cold process soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been researching how much borax to use in cold process soap for a gardeners soap. I've searched and re-read all the posts here and still at a loss. Is there a recommended ratio or percentage of borax to total oil weight or total batch weight? Looking at you, @Misschief and @earlene who seem to be pros at this. Thanks!

My notes, which I think came from Earlene, say:
"Use 1.1 oz ppo. Good for a mechanics soap.
"Dissolve the Borax in hot water held out from the total water for the recipe, then addbthe Borax solution at emulsion (for swirling) or trace. Since it is a solution, it can actually be added before emulsion."

I've made this recipe (Borax Soap) a couple of times and really liked it. The recipe is written with volume (cups) rather than percentages, for which I was roundly chastised, but it turned out to be a very nice soap. I think I did change it to percentages at one point but I can't lay my hands on it at the moment.

The reason I use borax in the soap for my blacksmith brother is because when made with only pumice, the soap did not do a good enough job cleaning his hands. Borax alone without the pumice did not do as well either. It was the combination of both ingredients that produced the best soap to remove the stains he gets on his hands while blacksmithing. He had asked me to design a soap for him as Lava wasn't really cutting the stains on his hands like he would have preferred.

I researched on blacksmithing sites when I was designing the soap, and found that many blacksmiths actually just wash their hands with borax alone. Since they already use borax powder while brazing and forge welding, it seems to be something blacksmiths are quite comfortable having on-hand.

Reference: Borax Hand Soap for Blacksmith or other dirty work

I've made this recipe (Borax Soap) a couple of times and really liked it. The recipe is written with volume (cups) rather than percentages, for which I was roundly chastised, but it turned out to be a very nice soap. I think I did change it to percentages at one point but I can't lay my hands on it at the moment.
Thanks, I will try this recipe for my husband's greasy hands.:)

Good topic OP!

I understand that borax is a water softener, but surely it does something else in CP soap.

It seems like it is used in "gardener's" , mechanics, and blacksmith soaps. In other words, it is used for extra tough jobs.

Question #1:
Is this because the borax can be drying to the skin, like coconut oil?

The one article mentioned that the borax alone was not sufficient for tough cleaning jobs. She found an abrasive element, like pumice, was needed.

Question #2:
Does borax bring bubbles to a soap, like coconut oil?

Questions #3:
What does borax bring to the CP soap, other than acting as a water conditioner?

Personally, I simply found it to be a lovely, mild soap. I wouldn't have used it for extra grubby (i.e. mechanic's) hands. For that, I made a Gardener's Hand soap that has all kinds of scrubby things in it, like pumice, corn meal, poppy seeds, and orange peel powder.

Oh, I didn't know that. I looked at her PDF and I believe it's an image type PDF, not a text based PDF format. I converted it to a JPEG for you. Click on the thumbnail to view the image. You'll probably have to blow it up some to read it.

If it's still illegible, maybe Earlene can modify the original file so it works better for you. Or I'll transcribe it.

Just to be clear -- this recipe is Earlene's not mine. She should get 100% all the credit and kudos for this!!

Blacksmith Soap for Brother 2017 Earlene SMF.jpg

5/10/2020 update: Uploaded a corrected file that shows the correct amount of borax -- 62 grams (2.2 ounces).

Last edited:
Oh, I didn't know that. I looked at her PDF and I believe it's an image type PDF, not a text based PDF format. I converted it to a JPEG for you. Click on the thumbnail to view the image. You'll probably have to blow it up some to read it.

If it's still illegible, maybe Earlene can modify the original file so it works better for you. Or I'll transcribe it.

Just to be clear -- this recipe is Earlene's not mine. She should get 100% all the credit and kudos for this!!

View attachment 45902
Thanks I didn't know it was a dual lye recipe. I can try 2 things out with this one recipe.

Enjoy, Todd. I hope you have fun with it.

BTW, please note there is an error in that formula. I transcribed my recipe incorrectly from my handwritten notebook to the Soapee calculator.

The correct amount of Borax in that recipe is 2.2 OUNCES not grams.

I mentioned that in a later post in that thread.

Please be aware that if you use grams only 2.2 grams of borax in that recipe you may as well use none as it does not work well at all at that minuscule amount.

Last edited:
@earlene , @Misschief , @DeeAnna , does the borax truly completely dissolve in the water, that is like lye dissolves in water into a completely clear solution? I first used a 1 part borax to 2 parts water and it didn't dissolve. Then I did 1 part borax to 3 parts water and it didn't dissolve -- but ditched that because it left very little water for the lye. What I have is more like a sludge of wet borax at the bottom of my cup of water.

I'm soaping right now and may just leave out the borax at this point.

Latest posts

Back