How much additives can I add to my soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ola's

Reaction score
Good day everyone. I'm planning on making a herbal soap that can treat skin diseases. I have a list of about 3-4 most used herbs for this purpose (supported by academic researches) in Africa which is where I come from. I'm planning on adding the ground dried leaves at trace.
My question and concern is how much of such additives can I add to traced soap without affecting the production. Researches have shown that each of these leaves can be used at 2-5% of your soap batter weight. So, if I decide to use three leaves, for example, at their highest tolerated level of 5%, I'll be adding 15% additive w/w to my traced soap. Hope that would not have significant effect on the quality of the soap.
Thanks in advance for your responses.

Good day everyone. I'm planning on making a herbal soap that can treat skin diseases. I have a list of about 3-4 most used herbs for this purpose (supported by academic researches) in Africa which is where I come from. I'm planning on adding the ground dried leaves at trace.
My question and concern is how much of such additives can I add to traced soap without affecting the production. Researches have shown that each of these leaves can be used at 2-5% of your soap batter weight. So, if I decide to use three leaves, for example, at their highest tolerated level of 5%, I'll be adding 15% additive w/w to my traced soap. Hope that would not have significant effect on the quality of the soap.
Thanks in advance for your responses.
I would split the 5% into 3 parts by calculating 5% of your oil weight into gms, and then by dividing that by 3.

at their highest tolerated level of 5%, I'll be adding 15% additive w/w to my traced soap.
I agree with @Sar -- Combine the 3-4 herbs and add 5%.
That being said, With dry additives I use volume measures rather than weight.
1 teaspoon - 1 tablespoon PPO of dried herbs -- powdered as fine as possible so they aren't scratchy -- gives a lovely speckled look to herbal soaps.

I'm planning on adding the ground dried leaves at trace.
When I make herbal soaps I prefer to infuse the dried herbs in Olive Oil or sunflower -- or similar oil in your recipe.

I'm planning on making a herbal soap that can treat skin diseases.
I would add Tea Tree or Lavender Essential Oil to the batch to boost effectiveness. They are known to be beneficial for skin disease, depending on what you are targeting.

In any case, to save time and expense, make small 500 gram "Trial & Error" batches to start with until you achieve the result you're aiming for.

PS: What are you targeting? Acne? Psoriasis? Eczema? The FAs (Fatty Acids) you intend to use deserve equal consideration. it would be helpful if you don't mind sharing your recipe. ???

The Basic Trinity of Oils starter formula works well for most people.

For sensitive skin, Zany's No Slime Castile, made with olive oil or almond oil, and 10% coconut, 5% castor, is a good option. Castor oil is known for healing, Used in soap, it's conditioning and boosts lather.

HTH (Hope This Helps)! HAPPY SOAPING! :computerbath:

Also, keep in mind soap does not heal or treat it is a wash-off product. Soap washes off dirt and bacteria so in the process of getting rid of the bateria you are helping the skin heal and hopefully using a gentle enough soap to not cause further irritation. For acne to harsh or scrubby a soap will cause the oil glands to over-react and the acne to worsen.

Back