how many of you have day jobs also?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

do you have a day job and sell?

• day job & sell

Votes: 21 38.2%
  • day job & just hobby, no selling

Votes: 18 32.7%
  • sell only, no day job

Votes: 7 12.7%
  • just a hobby!

Votes: 9 16.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm a stay-at-home mom to 3 kids, 4 cats, 1 dog, and 1 DH. He works and supports my addiction and I sell a little on the side. Mostly that just goes back into my soaping stuff. My DH said today that as long as my soaping supports itself or somewhat supports itself he'll be a happy guy lol. I will admit my addiction has cut into our finances a bit. I mean, we can cut back on toilet paper and cat food right? lol (just kidding by the way!)

I'm a SAHM of 2 girls, my baby starting Kindergarten next year :(. Started as a hobby, but an expensive one that needed funding, and has turned into a business venture. I've been doing some soul searching lately, thinking I need to tone back some. Less business, more fun. But, it still needs to bring in some funds somehow. Plus, I am really going to need something fun to keep my mind on when my baby goes off to school next year!

As I have Ehler Danlos Syndrome; I'm on disability benefits.
Currently in the process of renovating my home.
The second bedroom, or soap lab will be last.
When that's finished, I'll be able to apply for a loan for starting entrepreneurs.
I've tried before, but the people who guided me thought I was taking on too much at once.
So now I am working on my B&B business; researching, testing, doing paper work, just not paid yet :p

Also, I volunteer for an organisation that places abandoned pets from Bulgaria in foster homes.
As a foster, I try to rehabilitate dogs and place them with perfect families.

I try, last time did not work out. Shepherd mix Pjotr was placed for adoption with amazing people, but he felt miserable and came back to me. I didn't have the heart to give him up again as he's so attached to the other dogs.

So now he's my puppy :p

http://s313.photobucket.com/user/da...517126337103_751485990_n_zpsd175aab0.jpg.html

I have 2 other dogs of my own, foster dog Tibbs that needs a lot of extra care and 4 cats, so more than enough to keep me busy :lol:

542856_470517126337103_751485990_n_zpsd175aab0.jpg.html

Day job - full time, not selling or planning to. At work now. Soaping is just a fun hobby, but it is a nice dream to own a soap shop, just not going to happen.

I've been a SAHM since my 4 1/2 year old was born, and started my business 2 years ago (candles and M&P) after my husband and I lost our second daughter (she had Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome) to kinda keep my head together. About a year after she was born (she passed at 4 months) we had twins, and lost one at 3 1/2 months. So when our oldest started school I needed something to keep me busy and started really researching soap making..our youngest is 18 months now and is quite happy to entertain herself while mama makes soap and big sister is at school. My husband works seasonally so when he's home in the winter he helps me out and we do craft shows together on weekends to spend some kid free time together :) So, I sell only, but I'm not really making anything at it yet because although I've been at it for 2 years, it's been pretty up and down. This year is the year I'm really focusing and trying to build up a good customer base.

My boyfriend lost his baby boy at that age too.
It's devastating. :sad: Can't even imagine how hard it must be to have to go through that twice...

It helps to have a distraction, hence the candle and soap making :) The kids keep me busy too. As much as it sucks, life goes on, so we can choose to ignore the great gifts we still have, or embrace life and make some happy memories.

Well, put me down for 48-60 hours a week working as an RN. My soaping helped me transition to the empty nest when my youngest daughter got married. I'm selling at our local farmer's market and not rolling in dough, but it's enough to pay for the spot and buy more supplies. At some point, this old body will rebel and insist I do something less taxing than nursing so I'm enrolled in an online class for medical billing/coding and would love to actually make something with my soap. One day at a time.

I work for the government and sit at a desk 12 hours a day 14 days a month. So I still work full time but only go to work half the time most people do. I started selling a year ago and am building up a nice repeat customer base. I have only done one craft show and have never done a farmers market. I hope to do more of that in the future and find a few small stores that will sell my goods. I will have to go on disability sometime in the next couple of years and may have to stop soaping all together. I have Macular Degeneration and have been slowly going blind for the last 5 years. I really hope to build up a good business and have my oldest take it over.

I am a special education teacher for high school students with learning disabilities and behavior disorders (very intense at times). After some encouragement from family and friends, I have decided to sell soap at a few local farmers markets this summer instead of teaching summer school.

I work full time and have been making soap primarily on the weekends as a hobby for about 5 months so far. I would love to sell someday, but still have lots to learn - so not for a couple of years. The biggest challenge for me right now is that we live in a very small NYC apartment and need to get very creative with storage of supplies and equipment. So getting the supplies down (and then put away again) in order to make a batch takes almost as long as making the batch itself. But that is changing soon as we are moving into a larger apartment and I will have my own soaping room/office! With easier access to the supplies and equipment, I hope to start making more batches on week nights as well to speed up this learning process.

I work as a project manager and have just started selling. I'm hoping to eventially replace the PM job or sell after I retire.

I work for DVA in Canada-its the VA in the US. Its a wonderful job but I would chuck it if I could make soap all day.

Back