How many HP soapers are here?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soapmaker Man

Reaction score
I am loving DHHP in my Presto Pot! I am soaping at a full 38 % liquids as weight verses oils. This is about a 27 or 28% lye strength solution. What do you guys use when HPing as solution strength or liquids as % of oils?

Paul :wink:

Paul, I think DHHP means Direct heat hot process. But what

is that? Maybe it's time for another pictorial tutorial!!!

The closest I have come to HP is I had to do a rebatch

today for the first time and it turned out okay. Anyway I

would love to learn more. You already got me hooked on

RTCP. I have my masterbatches ready and waiting for

any urges I might get.

Laurie, DHHP does indeed stand for Direct Heat Hot Process. You start out like CP and bring your batter to thick trace, then start cooking it. I turn my Presto Pot on to about 220 degrees and start stirring to cook out water and to fully complete the saponification process. I add my GM after the cook as well as scents. It is ready to use right away, but I let it sit for about a week.

Paul :wink:

Sometimes I'll make HP at 170 or so, in the oven. Especially my hand soap. 100% coconut oil at 5% superfat with coffee, pumice & walnut shells for grit. I soap it at about 38-40% water and beat it with a hand mixer to make it fluffy so the bar isn't as dense. It cleans real good but I do keep a little lotion in my tool box.

I also like to whip the bath soap when I do it HP to make it float.

Dang it Paul.....you move too fast for me. lol :lol: I haven't even begun to understand room temp. process and you are starting in another whole new direction! :shock: More than room temp process, I would be interested in the dhhp. So when you get a chance, could you walk us thru this process?? Thanks!

gallerygirl said:
Dang it Paul.....you move too fast for me. lol :lol: I haven't even begun to understand room temp. process and you are starting in another whole new direction! :shock: More than room temp process, I would be interested in the dhhp. So when you get a chance, could you walk us thru this process?? Thanks!

You bet I will! :D Next batch, I'll grab the camera and take pics and post a tutorial.:wink:

You mean Crock Pot Hot Process CPHP

i add more liquid than normal so it doesnt dry out and stay somewhat liquidy so I can get less air pockets and have a more smoother look.

i add more liquid than normal so it doesnt dry out and stay somewhat liquidy so I can get less air pockets and have a more smoother look.

Ah, what a good plan! i am finding it very gloopy when trying to add Eo's and colours, so this may help, thanks for the great tip! :)

smellitlikeitis said:

Yup, that is another name for it Shannan. I also add a little more aloe vera juice during the cook and keep stirring. Right at the end, I turn off the heat, and add my goats milk and FO and a bit of SF oil. It is like thick mashed potatoes when cooked.

ETA: This is one place of interest. It is where I got the term from. There are a LOT of soap making terms there.

http://www.ccnphawaii.com/glossary-d.htm

Paul

so Paul would you start your DHHP process the same way you do RTCP?

just gotta be clear on this in my head, ya know?

Sanghama said:
so Paul would you start your DHHP process the same way you do RTCP?

just gotta be clear on this in my head, ya know?

I take mt RT master batch oils and heat until barely melted in my Presto Pot. I then add my 50% RT lye solution, the correct weighed out amount, and stick blend until thick trace. I then turn the heat up to just over 200 degrees and start cooking, stirring all the time. I add a bit of aloe vera juice during the cook to keep it smooth, when needed. When cooked, I add my goat milk, fragrance oil, and a bit of SF oil I have my colours mixed in. I then remove some cooked batter and mix my colours and pour back in to create swirls. I spoon into molds, and sometimes I can pour it in though. Adding sugar helps keep it pourable and adds bubbles.

Here are some cut pictures og the Green Irish Tweed I DHHPed today and cut a few hours ago;

DSCF3130.jpg

DSCF3131.jpg

Paul

smellitlikeitis said:

You are correct, DHHP is with external heat suchas as stove or open fire. I did like that for many years before new methods came to light.

I seldom do HP, cuz I prefer the smooth look to CP bars, but HP has rescued me from many a fast seized batch. I do it in a SS pot in the oven, at 200 or so, stirring every 15 mins.

Your HP bars look pretty smooth Paul! Good work!

I might HP some small batches soon, for testing purposes.

Latest posts

Back