how many bars/pound?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craftygirl

Reaction score
I'm trying to plan for recipes and making a mold. How many bars do you get per pound of soap?

It depends on what size you want your bars to be. If you are doing 4oz bars, and there are 16oz in a pound. That means you will get 4 bars.

4oz is a good size bar, that is what most people cut theirs at. They do shrink a bit so the bar ends up less than 4oz.

My 2.5 lb slab batches give me 9 bars of soap that weigh between 5 - 5.5 oz. (I like hefty bars)

My 1.13 lb log batches make 4 bars that weigh at least 5 oz, or I can cut them into 5 bars that weigh around 3.5 - 4 oz.

IrishLass :)

From a 16 oz recipe of oils I get exactly 5 bars when cut. It depends on how much of a water discount you're planning on doing (or if) as to just how many bars you're going to get.

My wooden mold is 3.5 inches wide and 15 inches long. I fill it with three pounds (oil weight only) and get 15 bars. Don't ask me what they weigh. They're 3.5 X 2.75 X 1 in size.

Weight of oils + weight of lye + weight of water (which will diminish somewhat as the soap cures). My batches made with 750-800 grams of oil fit into a 8 inch silicone mold which makes 8 bars measuring 3.5x2.5x1 and finished weight is between 125-140 grams per bar (roughly 4.5-5 oz per bar).

IrishLass said:
My 2.5 lb slab batches give me 9 bars of soap that weigh between 5 - 5.5 oz. (I like hefty bars)

My 1.13 lb log batches make 4 bars that weigh at least 5 oz, or I can cut them into 5 bars that weigh around 3.5 - 4 oz.

IrishLass :)

I think I have this same slab.

My favorite log mold- I get 8 5oz bars out of 30oz of oil- HP. After cure they are probably still 4.8- I discount my water quite a bit.

Latest posts

Back