How long will this last?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AshleyR

Reaction score
I finally found a Home Hardware in my area that is special-ordering me some lye! They can get it in 3 kg pails and are getting me 12 pails.... so 36 kg of lye!

I've never made soap before but am getting excited for my first batch now that I know I can actually get some ingredients.

I haven't really delved into recipes yet as I'm still learning "the basics" of soap making - but I'm wondering how long this lye will last me? The Home Hardware I ordered from said that they aren't sure how much longer the lye will be available through them and I'm wondering if I should order MORE right away, so I don't have the same problem (not being able to get it) again soon!

I'm going to start out making soaps for myself and friends and family as gifts, so I won't be making a TON right off the bat. My husband is making me a small 6x6 mold that I will probably start out with.

Does anyone know how much lye goes into a small batch (that would fill my 6x6 mold), and how long this 36 kg will last me?

Great you found some lye!!!

Seems like you have ordered a decent amount to last for a bit. I could not tell you how long it will last, but go to www.soapcalc.com and play with that calculator a bit, which will help you to familiarize yourself with oil qualities and how much water/liquid to lye for each batch, depending on the size of batch that you make.

In other words...I am terrible at math, so this is what I would do! :wink:

AshleyR, welcome to the soap forum....I said the same thing you said, 3 months ago and about 50 lbs of soap :lol: :lol: the soap cal will be your best friend. there is another program which i understand is good also, you might want to ask woody about it. kathleen

36 kg of lye will last you for years unless you are planning on a business.

Laurie

I think those 12 buckets will last you a long, long time.....considering you haven't even begun making soap yet! Just don't open the bottles until you're ready to use them. Air will weaken the lye, and sometimes moisten it so it clumps.

Back