how long until you unmold?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moose

Reaction score
I bought my very first loaf mold from michaels the other day, and I was stoked to having my soaps look uniform and perfect!
I made my soap yesterday, and all day at work all I could think about was getting home and slicing my soap. The mold was stuck together pretty well, and when we pulled the edges away from the soap, chunks of soap came out with it. It is a silicone/plastic mold so I didn't think I needed to line it with anything. Maybe it should have been in the mold longer?
:sad: Needless to say, I was disappointed.
I'm fairly new at soaping, with this being my third batch, so any advice would be greatly appreciated!
-Julie

Did you do cold process? I too bought that mold and was disappointed. It did stick and I had to slide the sides up and away from the soap. The bottom had to be cut away with the knife.. But the worst part is that the entire mold warped because of the heat of the gelling soap. I didn't notice it until I went to put it back together and realized that the sides were bowed and would no longer fit into the grooves. Return it if you still have the receipt. I'm pretty sure that mold is made only for melt and pour soap.

Sent from my iPhone using Soap Making

I've had that happen with soap made with a high percentage of conditioning oils and which weren't gelled. Did you gel? Was there a high percentage of olive? Also, I noticed when I first started using a silicone mold that it was very stiff and I had some problems removing the loaf. Over time, the mold became less stiff and I found it easier to get the soap out. A tip from another soaper was to use sodium lactate in batches to help with initial hardness. This also made it easier to unmold "soft" soap.

Anyway, I generally can unmold soap the next day if I've gelled the batch. Ungelled soap takes longer - maybe several days even with using sodium lactate.

HTH

eta: I forgot to mention. Some silicone molds require seasoning; although this may be only for silicone molds made for baking. I had bought a couple of molds with individual cavities and it mentioned seasoning to ensure ease of removal in the care instructions. So, I just used coconut oil, smeared it into the cavities and then baked the molds. I don't remember the temperature now. This might help with your mold as long as it's a good quality silicone.

Last edited:
Did you try putting the soap in the freezer for several hours before unmolding? Sometimes that helps. I usually wait about 24 hours before unmolding soap from a horizontal mold and 2 or three days for a vertical mold.

If it's the same mold as the one I bought, it is not silicone. I bought the plastic one with the bolts that screw into the sides. Freezing would probably help. And not gelling would have kept it from warping. ImageUploadedBySoap Making1380059021.321320.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Soap Making

I have two just like the ones in the picture. The only way that I can get the soap unmolded from this type of mold is to grease them all over the inside with petroleum jelly before pouring in the soap batter.

I use a silicone liner in my hdpe molds, works well some of them have patterns which transfer to the soap.

yes it is the exact same mold.
And my soap did gel. I did try putting it in the freezer as well, and it helped a bit.
What mold would you guys recommend?
Has anyone else had problems with this mold warping?

I have some of those molds and HATE them! Nothing ever releases cleanly from them so I've been lining in freezer paper like I do for my wooden molds. Plus all of mine warped just like that. I actually had one warp severely while there was soap in it. I came back to the kitchen 20 mins later and there was soap EVERYWHERE because it leaked out.

How do you work the soap out of those Silvermoon liners, especially if you have a peaked top? I've looked at them for years, but am afraid to invest in one.

I think I'm just going to make one, and return the one I bought from Michaels.

I bought the silicone log liners from Brambleberry and then had my husband make me wooden molds that they would fit in. I love them and they are relatively inexpensive. I do have an HDPE slab with dividers and even greasing that sucker well it still gives me problems releasing. I now only use it for Salt Bars and put it in the over at 170 for about 10 mins and it helps sometimes.

The side of Silvermoon wooden log mold comes off and you slide the silicone liner out and just pull the sides a little to loosen. Then turn on the side and slide the mold off.

Back