how long to wait???

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IanT

Reaction score
How long should I wait until I wrap my soaps? I have been letting them cure for 4days... they are definately hardening up quite a bit.

I plan on using some wax or tissue paper and hemp string to wrap them, or some burlap.

Thanks much!!!

Ian

Hi IanT!

I wait 4 weeks before I wrap my CP soaps. That's just me, though. I'm a stubborn stickler when it comes to curing and wrapping. I like my soaps to have as much breathing space as possible for as long as I feel it is necessary. Others might wrap sooner, but for me, 4 weeks is what I feel is necessary. HTH! :)

IrishLass

Thanks much for the reply!! Ill check them in 2 weeks and see what i think then...i think my family might convince me to send them some before then...but the ones i will play with ill wrap in a few weeks!

who doesnt love a good Irish Lass :wink:

Thank you!!

IanT

I agree! 4 weeks minimum if you're not going to sell them right away.

I wrapped some earlier than that in a rush at Christmas and the cigar bands are sliding off now. :( The bars shrink during cure - even if you discount water they'll shrink some.

cold process should sit for at least 4 weeks if not 6 or 8. it only gets better with time. this will help the bar last longer in the shower also. if you were to cut into a bar at 4 weeks the center of the bar will still be a tad softer, then the outside of the bar with the middle less and less as time goes on. letting it be will allow it to harden up all the way thru. the only way around this is to do a water discount or do hot process. but they still should have some time before wrapping.

even if you do hot process it should breath for 2 weeks.

and it will continue to shrink a microspeck even after 8 weeks.

it's not that your soaps aren't soap after unmolding but they need that time to finish evaporating out any excess water to cure into a hard long lasting bar of soap.

i know you are excited about your new soaps, but patience is a virture. :wink:

I agree.

I let my HP sit for at LEAST two weeks, makes for a harder bar that last longer in the shower. Plus it just seems to mellow and the EO's blend together more with age (probably just in my imagination) but I like a well aged bar.

Yes this is true...patience is a virtue! I m going to try and send some to my fam but Ill explain to them itd last longer if they let it dry for a few weeks before using (although i dont think my bros will care...soap is soap to them lol)

EDIT: Im in no rush to wrap the others though...Id rather them be more mellow, better bars of soap from having patience than a mediocre set because I was impatient!!!

ahhhh almost time to unmold the 2nd batch!!!

Back