How Long to Cure Soap That Will Be Shredded, Dissolved in H20, Mixed & Whipped Into Laundry Soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi soapers!

I made a 50% CO/50% Tallow, -3% Superfat, 37% Lye Concentration bar soap that is going to be used in my usual water-based, whipped, laundry soap recipe that I've used for years, but used Fels Napa for prior.

The recipe involves melting/dissolving shredded bar soap into water on the stove top, dissolving borax and washing soda into it, adding more water and mixing, letting it cool and separate, then whipping it in a blender to create a creamy, whipped mixture.

Obviously, the bars are lye heavy, and are going to be added to water regardless, so this leaves me very unsure how long to let them cure them before shredding them and making the mix.

They have already been cut into slices, then cut again into strips so that I can feed them through my food processor that I use for laundry soap.

My gut says at least 72 hours for the bulk of saponification to be complete, but I'm trying to figure out if there are benefits or safety reasons to letting it cure longer?

Thanks for your help!

I HP mine, using 30% lye concentration in 3 pound batches Unmold in 12-24 hours, slice in about 3 days; then usually grate one or two bars at a time and "store" in a large open plastic container.
I use equal amounts soap, borax, and washing soda. So far this is working for me.
@ShenandoahEarth&Botanical , I only use this in warm or hot water, so am intrigued by your process. Does it work well in cold water, too?

Back