How long to cook HP on "warm" setting?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

narnia

Reaction score
I saw a youtube video on making goat milk soap on a "warm" setting. The person never said how long it took her.

Has anyone made soap on the "warm" setting? I would like to know how long it might take, so that I can know what to anticipate, so that I can set aside enough time for it.

Mine only has low and high, and it depends on your recipe and batch size, but my 2-4 lb batches at low take around 45 min.

Mine only has low and high, and it depends on your recipe and batch size, but my 2-4 lb batches at low take around 45 min.

I wonder if the time would double on "warm?"

With my first batch, I could not tell when the soap was ready, so I wound up cooking it for 4 hours. :?

I use several different sizes of crock pots. My largest has three settings. I cook my soap for 30-45 minutes on the low setting, then turn it to the warm setting for another 30-45 minutes. Then I turn it off and let it sit for another 30-45 minutes. I find this low and slow method lets me walk away with no fear of volcanoes, and I have a nice evenly gelled smooth mixture. I cook small batches on the 30 minute mark and the large batches on the 45 minute mark.

If I'm using my smaller crock pot, then I will put it on the low setting for 45 ish minutes, I haven't made as many batches in that size yet, but then I turn it off for the same 45 minutes or so for the same reason. No volcanoes and no issues. I can set up my molds and walk away while the soap cooks.

I use several different sizes of crock pots. My largest has three settings. I cook my soap for 30-45 minutes on the low setting, then turn it to the warm setting for another 30-45 minutes. Then I turn it off and let it sit for another 30-45 minutes. I find this low and slow method lets me walk away with no fear of volcanoes, and I have a nice evenly gelled smooth mixture. I cook small batches on the 30 minute mark and the large batches on the 45 minute mark.

If I'm using my smaller crock pot, then I will put it on the low setting for 45 ish minutes, I haven't made as many batches in that size yet, but then I turn it off for the same 45 minutes or so for the same reason. No volcanoes and no issues. I can set up my molds and walk away while the soap cooks.

Do you stir them at any time?

Check out Ridgeway Soaps blog about the way she does HP. I do it her way so probably takes 45 minutes on low, no stirring and saran wrap instead of lid.

Thanks! There are soooooooo many different ways!!

I think you'll find that no two of us soap exactly the same way.

My limited experience with CPHP is that every blend of oils will want to be cooked for different amounts of time. I think it has something to do with the SAP values, water content - you know the whole soap making thing. Each recipe is individual so until you have found what your favorite blend of oils for a particular recipe is you'll need to watch for the stages of change in each batch and go from there.
As you are beginning to learn from your other post on nice soap vs drying soap small changes in ingredients can make big changes in the finished product. It stands to reason that those changes will also make a difference in when or even if gel occurs. Different oils trace at different rates and cook at different rates. DeeAnna can explain it in detail.

So much to try and wrap my little old brain around!

No, I do not stir during the cook. I stretch saran wrap on tight, then only change the temp until the end, and then I stir in any additions etc.

Back