How long should a bar of soap last?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NAPD asked about a soap to be used "...when ... camping I would like my bar to last for a while...." My answer was a reply to that question.

Gelled soap has a bit of an advantage when you're talking about the soap standing in water. Gelled soap is slower to absorb that water and thus won't get mushy as fast. That is a good property for a soap that may have to live in a wet soap dish or a closed damp travel case. As far as gelled soap lasting longer when you use it to bathe, no, I don't think there is a big difference.

Not to my knowledge. I have about the same longevity on either. But I use high lard recipes almost always.

To boost the lather on the high lard soap for camping, add about 1 tsp of sugar PPO. It will help on the bubblage.

Thank you. Yes, from now on I always add some sugar for bubbles. :)

NAPD asked about a soap to be used "...when ... camping I would like my bar to last for a while...." My answer was a reply to that question.

Gelled soap has a bit of an advantage when you're talking about the soap standing in water. Gelled soap is slower to absorb that water and thus won't get mushy as fast. That is a good property for a soap that may have to live in a wet soap dish or a closed damp travel case. As far as gelled soap lasting longer when you use it to bathe, no, I don't think there is a big difference.

So the main reason for most soapers don't let their soaps to gel is to avoid color changes? I get it now. Thanks! :)

"...I was wondering if these tricks also applies to soaps with fewer long lasting fatty acids and makes them also a little bit more difficult to dissolve in water? ..."

I don't know. You'd have to try it. I think there's only so much that using less water and gelling the soap can do to change the overall properties of the soap. The fatty acids have a BIG role in that too.

Just to be clear -- I didn't say gelling makes the soap more difficult to dissolve when using it in the bath. I said gelling makes the soap absorb water more slowly and thus won't become as mushy in a wet soap dish as fast. There's a difference.

Last edited:
Back