How long, O Lord? How long?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Give it a try! But withhold judgment until 6-8 weeks. it's probably not going to lather as well as you'd like,and also leave your hands kind of dry and chapped feeling.

Ever so often I stumble across a bar that's 5+ years old...it's amazing how nice it is. I think that one day, well-aged soap will absolutely be a "thing".
I have 2 Castile bars (100% Olive Oil) that I am hoarding. They are 5 years old. So good!

I cure my cold process soaps for 8+ weeks (more if I don't like how it feels after testing it). My hot process soaps are usually ready after 2 weeks - but they are even better with more curing time too. I have a box of odd sized soaps that are 6+ years old. They are so mild and creamy! The best.

When I started and just couldn't wait to try the soap (or when I'm working on a new recipe and just can't wait), I cut a bar into several smaller bars when I cut the loaf. I also up size most of my recipes a bit so I have some extra to pour into small silicone molds. This lets me try pieces of the soap well before the cure, but I'm not destroying a whole bar with one go.

Reminds me of when I first started brewing beer. It always takes a few weeks to get the good brew in your pipeline. All it takes is a few friends coming over to empty the kegs and you're brewing like a maniac to fill the pipeline again - feast or famine;)

I bet your curing space smells so amazing! Can't wait to hear what you think of your soaps!

When I started and just couldn't wait to try the soap (or when I'm working on a new recipe and just can't wait), I cut a bar into several smaller bars when I cut the loaf. Now I up size most of my recipes a bit so I have some extra to pour into small silicone molds. This lets me try pieces of the soap well before the cure, but I'm not destroying a whole bar with one go.

That's because you HAVE bars of well-cured soap! My well-cured bar of soap larder is bare! :(

Reminds me of when I first started brewing beer. It always takes a few weeks to get the good brew in your pipeline. All it takes is a few friends coming over to empty the kegs and you're brewing like a maniac to fill the pipeline again - feast or famine;)

I bet your curing space smells so amazing! Can't wait to hear what you think of your soaps!

Ah..... Brewing beer. A LOT of fond memories there too!

John, If you're really OUT of SOAP just start a swap thread or ask for a "few" bars to tide you over. Lots of us have soap just laying around curing for months...
Good Post.gif

On the other hand, PATIENCE is the first rule of soaping. Best to just quit yer whining and get on with it.
Smack Laugh.gif
(Just kidding! We've all been there; done that. Empathy abounds)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back