How Long is Overnight

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
That sounds like a stupid question, but I usually soap at night. I have a special needs daughter who takes all my time. If I was making a CPOP, I might be putting it in the oven at 2:00 am. When I get up at 7:00 am or 8:00am (after the schoolbus, if we ever go back to physical schools), is that enough time for the soap to gel?

I figure overnight as 12 hours or longer.
Thank you.

My 'overnight' is 12 to 18 hours.

IrishLass :)
Good to know. I read about it and a lot of the reading says to leave it in the oven for 2 hours and then turn the oven off and let it sit overnight. I believe this forum suggests putting it in the oven and immediately turning the oven off.

Last edited by a moderator:
My overnight is 8 hours.

I believe this forum suggests putting it in the oven and immediately turning the oven off.
Actually, we suggest turning the oven off before putting the soap in.

If I was making a CPOP, I might be putting it in the oven at 2:00 am. When I get up at 7:00 am or 8:00am (after the schoolbus, if we ever go back to physical schools), is that enough time for the soap to gel?
If you check your soap at 6 hours, you'll be able to tell if it is still in gel phase - that would be my biggest concern with removing it from the oven early. Typically I leave mine in the oven until I need to use the oven for something else... with a sticky note [soap in oven] over the control panel so no one can accidentally turn the oven on.

ETA: to clarify "no one" = me.

There was nothing stupid about this question. I think it was a good one considering I would not have known this (I almost never used an oven for gelling soap) and there may be others who also share my lack of knowledge regarding this.
Thank you. I know in school they say no question is stupid, but people go to bed at different times and some people have to leave the house to work, so I just wondered what the definition was. I plan to try this tonight with a soap I'm making.

Latest posts

Back