How long in the freezer to prevent gel?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmakkers

Reaction score
How long would you leave a 2lb batch of gm soap in the freezer? I left mine in for 24 hrs and then had a fan on it over night. Left it by itself while at work today and came home and the loaf felt warm. I haven't cut into it but im gonna be sad if it gets partial gel. 48hrs or more next time?

I would go from freezer to fridge. Freezing halts most of saponification and after it comes out and warms back up it can heat up quite quickly (speaking from what I've heard, not experience) someone was having trouble with this the other week. See the thread about overheated cupcakes for more info!

I make mine one day,put mine in the frig overnight, get it out the next day, unmould, let it sit 2 days and then cut. Never had partial gel yet, I make it on full GM. I've never put it in the freezer, I've probably have made about 30 batches so far. I don't colour or put any FO in them.

24 hours should be plenty of time, I don't think leaving it 48 hours will make any difference.

Never trust a new floral fo. I had one that I had in the freezer overnight, put in the fridge for a day then unmolded. Good thing I unmolded and put the 6lb batch on a large storage bucket lid. The blasted soap decided to gel and left me with a collapsed soap. FYI, this was Lilly of the Valley from NG. It is hateful and does not hold well. Once you know your fo you will learn how long to leave it in the freezer. I have a couple that have to stay overnight, but usually I can take them out in a few hrs. But then I do not get upset with partial gel, my customers think the look is neat

This was my first time doing a 2lb milk soap loaf. It's a lavender EO soap. It didn't seem to move any faster than my other gm soaps. But I never had this kinda residual heat which I guess I could assume is because this time it was 2lbs vs my 1lb testers. More soap to heat itself up. I kinda wanna cut it now but I'm trying to tell myself to be patient. I'm hoping the alkanet turns a pretty color after cure but right now it's like a jade green. I did a secret feather swirl inside so a partial gel might not be a bad design thing.

Latest posts

Back