How long in freezer?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

three_little_fishes

Reaction score
I had my calendula in the freezer for 3 hours or so. It still managed to do a partial gel. I was hoping for no gel because it was such a pretty, white color. I think I may get some white bars out of it though since it was only part of the loaf that gelled.

So, what's the longest you would leave a soap in the freezer? Could I do overnight or is that too much?

I've left soap in the freezer overnight. It takes longer to firm up once it has thaw, but the soap is fine.

Put your mold in the freezer to pre-chill it for 4 or so hours before you soap. Then put it back in the freezer after pouring the soap and leave it over night. 6+ hours. It will need to thaw after you take it out of the freezer. I got very bad ash this way though. Idk if it was just my recipe or what but it caked on my soap. Since then I have not put soap in the freezer. It was my first time and my last.

I've kept my soap in the freezer for more than 24 hours or will alternate between freezer and fridge for several days if I want to prevent gel. It just takes longer for it to firm up enough to unmold. Some FO's seem determined to gel and it can be really hard to prevent. Cooling the mod first is a good idea too.

This batch had no scent at all. I only use EOs, but so far haven't had any problems. Guess it was just determined anyway! Oh well...it's still sort of pretty. We'll see how it looks when I cut later tonight. :)

After you've taken the soap out of the freezer, how much longer will it take to finish saponifying? I left mine in for 24 hours and when I took it out it failed the zap test.

ungelled soaps need longer time to finish saponification (compared to gelled soaps). give it a couple of days and do another zap test.

Saponification is a process that needs heat and generates heat - so when you let it gel/heat it up it happens much faster (hence HP) but if you keep it colder then it takes longer. It still happens, of course, but can take a wee while

I have ready recently to wrap in a light towel like hand towel when putting in the freezer. I have put it in and it worked nicely but you have to leave in for a while it leaves the soap in a matte finish ( keep in mind when take most t hings out of the freezer moisture can occur too. I did one batch both wsy and in the end they were no different just one matte and one a little shinier " https://www.naturesgardencandles.com/blog/tag/placing-your-soap-in-the-freezer/

For milk soap, I have left the soap in the freezer for as long as 48 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back