How long do you let your soap cure?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kristen

Reaction score
So my soap is only 6 days old and my hubby is driving me crazy wanting to try it out! How long do you let your soap cure? Do you let different types of soap cure longer- like GM soap for instance?

Most of mine are at least 60% olive oil, so I give them a nice long cure, at least 8 weeks and usually more like 12 weeks. It's hard to wait, especially when it's a new fragrance or I've used a new oil or butter in the recipe and desperately want to try it out, but the soaps are so much nicer after a long rest on the curing shelf.

Hot Process - 2 Weeks
Cold Process that gelled - 4 weeks
Ungelled Cold Process - 6 weeks
Pure or large percentage Olive Oil - 8 to 12 weeks

Mine varies by recipe too, but I can't put it into neat categories.

I have a soap that is roughly 1/3 each of Shea, olive and CO. When I first made it I thought it was a bit of a dud after a 6 wk cure. Then I used a bar that was left over after 6 months Fabulous.

Most people probably sneak a few tries with their first batches before the cure time is up :D Just don't judge it too soon and know that it will get better.

I test for active lye after 3 days, I use the lick test.
If its not active I sneak a piece to try.
I'm terribly impatient....I realise this. :lol:
However..... the soap is ALOT better a month later.

I'm certainly no soap pro but have read its ok to try once the sap process has finished. The curing process is to dry the excess water from the soap.

This works for me...maybe not for everyone though.

carebear said:
IrishLass said:
What NancyRogers said, only I let my HP go 2 extra weeks.

IrishLass :)

ditto

Well, you know. I get antsy. :wink: They are much firmer and longer lasting after 4 weeks, but when I do HP it's so I can use them quicker...at least the first bar.

Think of your soap as fine wine, you can taste test it the first day, but it doesn't show its true taste until after it has sat for a while though I have tried my soap after a few days just to see if it was okay (especially when I was new). When I tried it, I thought...okay, why do people act like this is so great???...it had no bubbles and it felt like it dried my skin up. I let it set for 6-8 weeks and then tried it again and WOW, what a difference, as it ages, it gets better and better. It is amazing what a month or two adds to the soap. As long as there is no zap, you can try it, but you wont get the full quality of your soap until you let it sit.

make some hp, the you can use it at 2 weeks!
I wait 4 wks for cp, 2 for hp.

yes, some feel that their HP is ready immediately, some that it's ready at 2 weeks. my experience is that batches I've HP'd are like CP in that they really benefit from a 4 week cure.

technically you can use any soap immediately (with CP you need to wait for it to be zapless, of course), so it's a matter of how steep the improvement in quality versus time...

after 4 weeks the curve seems to flatten out a lot, tho hell = a 2 year old bar can be so freaking spectacular it'll get you thinking...

(castiles I won't touch for at LEAST 8 weeks, and really I prefer to go as long as possible, even 6 months...)

I wait 4 to 6 weeks for CP, but I've been known to sneak a sliver into my shower after a week. But it's much better if you wait.

Along these same lines--when do you wrap your scented soaps to keep the EOs as potent as possible? Right after the cure times listed?

ToniD said:
When I first made it I thought it was a bit of a dud after a 6 wk cure. Then I used a bar that was left over after 6 months Fabulous.

What do you consider a "dud"?

evergreen said:
Along these same lines--when do you wrap your scented soaps to keep the EOs as potent as possible? Right after the cure times listed?

No... 2 reasons
1 - they continue to shrink, albeit slightly, as more water evaporates
2 - soaps don't always do well if wrapped airtight for extended periods - seems to promote DOS. For me, anyway.

Carebear,

Do you *not* wrap your scented soaps? I'd prefer NOT to wrap since it's such a hassle. I've been checking out packaging options and several books state that you should wrap scented soaps. (I don't do MP, btw.) I haven't been scenting soaps with EO's that long, so I am open to suggestions. I've used mostly herbs to make naturally scented soaps before now.

I expect to use a cigar band type label but thought I'd have to wrap the soaps in plastic first.

I'm also preparing Christmas soaps now so any pointers on packaging would be great. (I apologize if this should have been a new thread.)

Latest posts

Back