how long do loaves take to set?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

millyb60

Reaction score
How long would you say an average 1kg loaf would take to set? (2.2lb)
I don't want to end up taking it out of the mould and it being all squishy in the middle..
thanks
:)

Welll...most of my soaps are firmed up within 24 hours. I would give it between 24-48 hours to set before trying unmold it. Castile may take longer.

Hope this helps,
Mike

Are you talking CP? M&P would set a lot quicker, a couiple of hours.

I would say that it depends on your recipe and the strength of your lye solution. 24 to 48 hours is pretty general for full-water amount soaps, although Castiles can sometimes take longer. I use a 33% lye solution for most of my soaps and can unmold them between 6 and 12 hours, depending on the recipe (Castiles 12 hours, and Coconut bars 6 hours).

IrishLass

Yup 24 hours is pretty standard. My recipe, I can unmold, cut and bevel within 7 or 8 hours after pouring. This is a 2 pound log. I gel fully, then remove my top and cool with a fan on the log in the mold.

I usually unmold in 12-18 hours for gelled soap. Ungelled soap I usually wait about 48 hours depending on how soft it is. My lard soaps often take a few hours more either gelled or not gelled. I have started waiting 24 hours to cut, though. I leave the unmolded loaf on the cure rack for a day or more and then I don't have that sticky cutter blade thing happening. These times hold true for both my one pound batches and my two pound batches. I have not made batches bigger than 2 pounds.

Back