How long do I leave coconut milk soap in mold?

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

meganlanephotos

Reaction score
Hello,

I made 3lbs of Citrus Shampoo Bars last night. I used coconut milk in my lye mixture, instead of water. I am including the recipe below so you know exactly what is in it:

2oz Cocoa Butter
9oz Virgin Coconut Oil
11oz Extra Virgin Olive Oil
7oz Castor Oil
4oz Jajoba Oil
1oz Sweet Almond Oil
1oz Beeswax
Sodium Hydroxide + Coconut Milk

At trace: 35ml in total of 100% pure lemon EO, sweet orange EO, tangerine EO and grapefruit EO.

I had chilled the coconut milk in freezer for about 30 minutes before mixing it with the lye. It wasn't frozen, but slightly slushy. I had it in a ice cube tray. I combined the lye mixture with my oils/butters when they were both at about 95 degrees. I reached trace in about 5-7 minutes. I used a stick blender and a rubber spatula to stir. After reaching trace, I added my oils, stirred thoroughly and poured into my 3lb mold. I had a bit extra so I put it in silicone hearts. I covered the 3lb plastic soap mold with a thin piece of cardboard and put it in the freezer. This was at 6PM last night. I removed it from the freezer 15 hours later and put it in refridgerator. It is still in the fridge now. I am trying to prevent a gel, as I read that is best with milk soaps. I want to keep the soap a milky white-ish color and I don't want any overheating.

My question is, did I do everything correctly after pouring into the mold? Did I leave it in freezer too long or too short amount of time? I poured it into mold about 18 hours a go. Should I take it out of the fridge now? When can I safely unmold and slice it? It looks good now. It hasn't gelled or partially gelled, from what I can see. It is pretty hard, not soft at all. Looks nice. Please let me know what to do now. Should I take it out of fridge? Thank you so much!!

Obsidian

Reaction score
I would leave it in the fridge for a few more hours. You want it thaw at least partially before you bring it to room temp. I usually do 12 hours in freezer, 12 hours in fridge. That being said, I've never had coconut milk soap overheat.

meganlanephotos

Reaction score
Once I take it out of the fridge in a few hours, will it most likely be ready to unmold and slice? Or should I let it sit in the mold out of the fridge for a few hours first?

Obsidian

Reaction score
I'd let it sit at room temp for a hour or so it not too hard. You can try cutting and if its too hard, give it a bit more time. You can try taking it out of the fridge now if you want, just keep a eye on it that it doesn't heat up. I think it should be fine but you never know what soap will do.

seven

Reaction score
when you take the soap out of the fridge, it will most likely be a lil bit wet while it's thawing. i will leave it for a few hours to dry up, otherwise it's gonna be a pita cutting a wet soap.

like Obsidian, i never had a coconut milk soap overheat.

meganlanephotos

Reaction score
Thank you. I took the soap out of the fridge about 30 minutes a go and have it under a fan. It has been in the mold now for a total of 22 hours - 17 in freezer, 4 and a half in fridge and 30 under fan. I will attempt to unmold it tonight around 8PM. Thank you all again for your help

Latest posts