How is this recipe?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brian0523

Reaction score
I found this recipe on line - looks interesting - any comments before I give it a go?

Coconut Oil 5.33 ounces - 33.3 %
Hempseed Oil 1.78 ounces - 11.1 %
Olive Oil 3.56 ounces - 22.2 %
Soybean Oil 5.33 ounces - 33.3 %
Lye: 2.27 ounces
Water: 6.40 ounces
Sodium Lactate (NAL): 0.00 ounces
Fragrance (FO/EO): 0.96 ounces
includes 5% superfat & 40% water discount
Total ounces - 16

I didn't run it through a lye calculator to be sure the water and lye amounts are correct,

but given the recipe uses 4 oils and the coconut oil is a little high at 33% (you want 20% on that) for lather, i've never used hempseed oil, but there isn't much of that in it, but most of your oils are soybean and olive oil you will get a very soft soap (and won't clean as well according to my brother) unless that's what your looking for.

Not all oils are created equal, and they all have different properties and benefits.

http://www.soapcrafters.com/rwriter.php

this is the link that helped me learn about this, it breaks the oils down into sections according to the amounts of each type of oil that makes a bar of soap.

ok just looked and hempseed oil is in the Emollients section and should be no more than 5% and your recipe has 11% used.

So just a few things for you to consider.

Brian the old "rule" in the soaping world was "Any more than 30% coconut oil, the soap will be itchy." I use 16% coconut oil and 16% babassu oil in my favorite recipe, and when out of babassu, use coconut at a full 32% without any issues. Now, I do admit that goat milk does lower the pH and makes it feel better to the skin, and I use aloe vera juice and silk in all my soaps. I don't have any issues using 33% CO. Salt bars are between 50 to 75% coconut oil. That's just what I have out in my experience over the past few years. :)

ETA: The recipe you posted has only olive as the only evidential "hard" oil. It will take a good long cure to get hard, and you should take a water discount. Soap at a 33% lye solution rate.

Paul... :wink:

Soapmaker Man said:
Brian the old "rule" in the soaping world was "Any more than 30% coconut oil, the soap will be itchy." I use 16% coconut oil and 16% babassu oil in my favorite recipe, and when out of babassu, use coconut at a full 32% without any issues. Now, I do admit that goat milk does lower the pH and makes it feel better to the skin, and I use aloe vera juice and silk in all my soaps. I don't have any issues using 33% CO. Salt bars are between 50 to 75% coconut oil. That's just what I have out in my experience over the past few years. :)

ETA: The recipe you posted has only olive as the only evidential "hard" oil. It will take a good long cure to get hard, and you should take a water discount. Soap at a 33% lye solution rate.

Paul... :wink:

Hmmm - how do you use silk in your recipes? Is it ground silk or a liquid version? Interesting.

The silk comes in fibers. You put those fibers in your lye water and it will dissolve them. Make sure you lye water is hot when you add the silk. It does not take a lot either and makes a huge difference in your soap IMO. I use it in every one of my batches.

Interesting - this is the first I've read of using silk fibers!

I'll have to make note of that. Approx how much do you add? Teaspoon size scoop?

When I use silk fibers, I just pull a hank about 1- inch thick and dissolve it in the lye/water. This is for a 10 pound batch. It's fun to watch it dissolve. Too much more than that and it doesn't all dissolve in 26 ounces of lye/water.

I ran your recipe through our SoapMaker program, and I agree with Paul: a tad soft for my tastes, but an average bar. It rates at least as well as the benchmark in our program, except for the lathers, which it is a tad short on.

You can download the program and play with it free for a month if you like.

Yup, I add the silk threads to my lye/aloe vera solution when it is heating up. I first add my silk to my aloe vera and let it sit for about 15 minutes to soak up the moisture. After adding the lye, I stir with a stainless steel whisk until dissolved and let everything cool. I bought a pound of silk about a year ago. I use it in every batch. I use about 2 q-Tip size ball for each 45 ounce batch figured into my premixed 50% lye solution when I make it up. I started out with 16 ounces a year ago and still have about 15-3/4 ounces left! It goes a very long way! I have the beautiful golden silt threads from Look China! Beautiful Tussah Silk fibers! :)

See picture below. My silk I use is on the left. See how georgious it is! The silk on the right is short threads, still OK to use in soap, just not as "pretty or clean.

DSCF1615.jpg

Wow - that's the most interesting thing I've learned today! I had no idea. I've seen hydrolized silk protein in cosmetics, but not raw silk in soap....cool idea!

Thanks for sharing!

Woodi said:
When I use silk fibers, I just pull a hank about 1- inch thick and dissolve it in the lye/water. This is for a 10 pound batch. It's fun to watch it dissolve. Too much more than that and it doesn't all dissolve in 26 ounces of lye/water.

I ran your recipe through our SoapMaker program, and I agree with Paul: a tad soft for my tastes, but an average bar. It rates at least as well as the benchmark in our program, except for the lathers, which it is a tad short on.

You can download the program and play with it free for a month if you like.

Woodi - your soap maker program looks awesome, and I'd pay you for it today, but I'm on a Mac not a PC. :(

Yes, it makes the soap, well, more silky feeling. :) It glides across the skin and leaves the skin silky feeling after your shower. If you notice, all the big name "soap" companies are coming out with a silk line of soaps. I've been using it for over a year now in every single batch, including my salt bars! If you want, PM me and I'll send you a sample if you send me a SASE envelope. I bought mine in a big Look China CO-OP! I love CO-OP's! The only way to buy! 8)

Paul.... :wink:

Soapmaker Man said:
Yes, it makes the soap, well, more silky feeling. :) It glides across the skin and leaves the skin silky feeling after your shower. If you notice, all the big name "soap" companies are coming out with a silk line of soaps. I've been using it for over a year now in every single batch, including my salt bars! If you want, PM me and I'll send you a sample if you send me a SASE envelope. I bought mine in a big Look China CO-OP! I love CO-OP's! The only way to buy! 8)

Paul.... :wink:

Paul - How do I get in this CO-OP???? Spill the beans - help a newby out!

Back