How is my recipe looking?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

osasoap

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm pretty new to soap making and have been playing around with different recipes. I suffer from eczema on my hands and so am looking to make a soap that leaves my skin feeling super clean but also doesn't strip my hands too much! Here's a recipe I'm about to try, I understand the proof of the pudding is in the eating, but I wondered if anyone could weigh in on how to achieve my perfect balance. Any useful tips welcome! Thanks everyone :) <3

Olive oil 50%
Cocoa butter 10%
Coconut oil 20%
Caster oil 10%
Sweet almond oil 10%

Hello and welcome. You can certainly try your recipe. It will take some time to cure. However, if you have sensitive skin you may want to drop the CO to 10-15%. If your not opposed to animal fat I recommend using lard or you can use palm for a more well rounded recipe that won’t require quite as long of cure and Makes a lovely soap.

Also, since your new, please be sure to go to the introduction forum and tell a bit about yourself.

Hello and welcome. You can certainly try your recipe. It will take some time to cure. However, if you have sensitive skin you may want to drop the CO to 10-15%. If your not opposed to animal fat I recommend using lard or you can use palm for a more well rounded recipe that won’t require quite as long of cure and Makes a lovely soap.

Also, since your new, please be sure to go to the introduction forum and tell a bit about yourself.
Thank you so much - such great info! I am vegetarian so won't use lard and would also prefer to stay away from Palm. Are there any alternatives or am I just going to have to accept a long cure time?
I will head over and introduce myself now! Thank you :)

I would also recommend reducing the Coconut Oil. I find it to be too harsh for my skin, although there are some who can handle it at that percentage.

To help harden the bar, you could include some Shea Butter (maybe 15 % although you can go as high as 30%, some may go higher) &/or Soy Wax (GW 415) at about 20% (you can go higher, like 30% as well), although even less would be fine. Both would help harden the bar and contribute to the longevity of the bar (making it more long lasting so it doesn't melt away quickly in use.)

But for now, make soap and get used to the process. You can revise your recipes and try new oils as you continue practicing. If you keep making small batches every now and then (or like some of us, as often as possible) the soap on your curing rack (or curing tray or whatever) will be ready to use before you know it, and you will have a continuous supply to keep testing.

Latest posts

Back