How is my CP recipe?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaylyn Valdez

Reaction score
Hello! I have been really interested in soap making for years and have finally taken the plunge! So far I’ve made two batches, one CP and one HP. I have formulated a recipe that I feel would work good for my very sensitive skin but wanted some feedback.

My recipe that I’ve been using is as follows:
46% olive oil pomace
27% coconut oil
27% palm oil
4% superfat

Try swapping the palm and olive oil amounts. That will give you a milder, longer lasting bar of soap.
Personally I would lower the coconut to at least 20% but I have dry skin.

Can you get castor? Its a good additive for boosting lather and you don't need much. Something like this.

Palm 50%
Olive 25%
Coconut 20%
Castor 5%

If you can't do castor, remove it and add the 5% to the olive.

Try swapping the palm and olive oil amounts. That will give you a milder, longer lasting bar of soap.
Personally I would lower the coconut to at least 20% but I have dry skin.

Can you get castor? Its a good additive for boosting lather and you don't need much. Something like this.

Palm 50%
Olive 25%
Coconut 20%
Castor 5%

If you can't do castor, remove it and add the 5% to the olive.
Ill definitely try to get some castor. I like the sound of that recipe! My question would be this- how does the palm oil usually affect the soap? Is it more moisturizing than the olive oil? I know it’ll make a harder bar of soap and aids in lather, but I didn’t know if it’ll dry out my skin like coconut oil does.

No soap is going to be moisturizing. Being a wash off product, it removes oil, not leaves it behind.
If you are looking at the conditioning number on soapcalc, stop. All you really need to watch is the cleansing, the lower it is the milder the soap will be. I like my cleansing number 11-15.

Palm being a low cleansing soap oil, make a very mild bar. It contributes to a creamy lather that just feels nice.
If you are ok with animal fat, lard instead of palm is even better.
Palm can make your recipe move a bit faster so be ready for that. Just don't over blend and it will be fine.

Make a small batch for now and compare it to your original recipe, see which you like better.
Some find that a high OO causes dry skin. I can only use it at 25% max.

That recipe I posted is actually what I use but with lard instead.

No soap is going to be moisturizing. Being a wash off product, it removes oil, not leaves it behind.
If you are looking at the conditioning number on soapcalc, stop. All you really need to watch is the cleansing, the lower it is the milder the soap will be. I like my cleansing number 11-15.

Palm being a low cleansing soap oil, make a very mild bar. It contributes to a creamy lather that just feels nice.
If you are ok with animal fat, lard instead of palm is even better.
Palm can make your recipe move a bit faster so be ready for that. Just don't over blend and it will be fine.

Make a small batch for now and compare it to your original recipe, see which you like better.
Some find that a high OO causes dry skin. I can only use it at 25% max.

That recipe I posted is actually what I use but with lard instead.
That’s some great information! Thank you! Why do some make 100% OO soaps if it can be drying sometimes? Also, does less cleansing mean it will work less if that makes any sense? Like will it wash your hands well or still leave them dirty? Stupid question I know but I want to know so I can understand as much as possible. :)

The general population does just fine with 100% OO soap. Its actually very mild for most people. Its just a few of us who doesn't do well with it.

Yes, even a soap with a cleansing number of 0 will get you clean. It might not wash away a heavy layer of grease but it still washes.

The higher the cleansing number, the more oil the soap can wash away or strip from the skin. Too much cleansing and you will be left with dry skin.
Some people do well with higher numbers, some like me need lower.

It will most likely take some experimenting for you to find the perfect recipe for your skin. Stick to small batches and keep good notes.

The general population does just fine with 100% OO soap. Its actually very mild for most people. Its just a few of us who doesn't do well with it.

Yes, even a soap with a cleansing number of 0 will get you clean. It might not wash away a heavy layer of grease but it still washes.

The higher the cleansing number, the more oil the soap can wash away or strip from the skin. Too much cleansing and you will be left with dry skin.
Some people do well with higher numbers, some like me need lower.

It will most likely take some experimenting for you to find the perfect recipe for your skin. Stick to small batches and keep good notes.
Perfect, thank you!

Latest posts

Back