How Important is Sodium Lactate?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's okay guys, I actually am sort of a knowledge nut as a result of having a sister who is a knowledge connoisseur. I've learned both what I needed to from this thread and more so it's all good. 👍
Hey everyone, reading the above, I'm not sure 🤔 but @MellonFriend might be politely telling us to stop going off like a bunch of arses and start our own thread on these random topics. 😂

I have stopped using it as it's a costly expense for me. I have to import it to my country. So I only use it in my lotions and butters. I use regular sea salt in my water before adding my lye and use hard butters and oils up to 40% in my recipes. Soaps release easily from the molds. Saves money lol.

I've always used SL but that's only b/c I read it somewhere in my initial research and thought it would help. Obviously I don't really have a clue if it helps since I've never made soap without it.
I think when I run out of my current supply, which will be soon, I won't rebuy until I try a few batches without it! May as well save a few pennies if it's not necessary!

I'm trying to decide whether to buy some sodium lactate for my first soap making attempts. Brambleberry makes it sound like it's absolutely essential, which I know it's not, but does it really make the soap that much better? How many of you don't use it?
Oh forgot to say, I use salt at 1/2 tsp Per Pound Batch Oils. Dissolve in liquid before adding the lye.

I have a love hate/relationship with SL big time. I love it in shampoo bars and I use it in some formulations, but in soap, I don't always have success. I find it finicky I'm not sure if it's me or not. Some formulas it works in, some it doesn't. I know Soap Queen/Bramble Berry is popular but I don't watch videos (i never wear my hearing aids and struggle with youtube because subtitles are BS) so I've not really looked at them. I know that ASS* (Aussie Soap Supplies) promotes their videos which is crazy to me as everything is in ounces and not metric.

*Remember it's only the US that officially spells ARSE as ASS... although it did stop us from naming our daughter Amélie Samara because so many people spell it the American way - which is something that I take issue with, I wish I didn't but, we are supposed to spell in English over here not American English which is only different all because you lot (well ancestors) wanted to .... ... the old king 😂;)😂😅🤣 just like driving on the wrong side of the road hehehehehehehe (I am teasing you all, please remember that)
Precisely my thought's' "driving on the wrong side of the road"
🤣😂 🚗 Beep Beep "Jackass" ( male donkey ). of course i'm kidding.

I can count on one hand the number of times I used SL in soap and that is because someone gave it to me and I wanted to use it up. When I first began soaping I did add salt but gave it up completely other than Soleseife and Salt bars, when I started soaping with vinegar. I just learned to formulate a hard bar which can be done with the addition of lard, tallow, palm, soy wax, shea butter, or cocoa butter.

I have a love hate/relationship with SL big time. I love it in shampoo bars and I use it in some formulations, but in soap, I don't always have success. I find it finicky I'm not sure if it's me or not. Some formulas it works in, some it doesn't. I know Soap Queen/Bramble Berry is popular but I don't watch videos (i never wear my hearing aids and struggle with youtube because subtitles are BS) so I've not really looked at them. I know that ASS* (Aussie Soap Supplies) promotes their videos which is crazy to me as everything is in ounces and not metric.

*Remember it's only the US that officially spells ARSE as ASS... although it did stop us from naming our daughter Amélie Samara because so many people spell it the American way - which is something that I take issue with, I wish I didn't but, we are supposed to spell in English over here not American English which is only different all because you lot (well ancestors) wanted to .... ... the old king 😂;)😂😅🤣 just like driving on the wrong side of the road hehehehehehehe (I am teasing you all, please remember that)
Gosh I miss Aussie humor...oops, humour😄

Back