How hot does a batch of CP soap get?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alliani

Reaction score
And is there a way to keep it cool? I ask because I have a recipe for soap with neem oil in it, and the anti-buggy components of neem don't like high temps (max of 85°F) so if the soap hits that during saponification (which I would think it did) it's kind of pointless.

TIA

~Lori

soap gets to at least 100 F I believe during the sap process, maybe a little lower but definitely above the 80s...however I do believe that some of the molecules for insect resistance do not denature at a high temp, and the properties may be retained into the hard soap...I could be wrong?

where did you learn about the denaturing of the 'anti-buggy' , if i may ask??

IanT said:
soap gets to at least 100 F I believe during the sap process, maybe a little lower but definitely above the 80s...however I do believe that some of the molecules for insect resistance do not denature at a high temp, and the properties may be retained into the hard soap...I could be wrong?

where did you learn about the denaturing of the 'anti-buggy' , if i may ask??

'Twas something I read on the internet, so it must be true!! ;)

Just figured I'd hedge my bets - wouldn't harm to keep it below 85 if possible. :)

I'll have to do more research on the subject one of these days.

Thanks!

~L

if you're looking to retain the benefits of neem, i'd say try it in a leave on product. soap washes off. so you may get some anti-buggy protection from it, but you'd get way more from a lotion or butter with it in.

some folks put their soap in the freezer to prevent gel, sometimes it works, sometimes not i hear....

Actually during the saponification process, temperatures can raise up to 180 degrees. Some who do not want gel, place soap in the refrigerator to keep cooler. The temp will still reach over 85 degrees though.

Paul

Im going to do some more research on it as well, My only concern with using it in a butter or cream or something is I would have to heavily scent it...that stuff STANKKKS!...at least the one i use to ward of buggies from eating my tomatoes!...does the smell carry through or can it b e covered a bit when combined with other oils and scent??

IanT said:
Im going to do some more research on it as well, My only concern with using it in a butter or cream or something is I would have to heavily scent it...that stuff STANKKKS!...at least the one i use to ward of buggies from eating my tomatoes!...does the smell carry through or can it b e covered a bit when combined with other oils and scent??

The rosemary and tea tree do a pretty good job of camouflaging the neem. I thought surely I'd have to hold my kids down if I intended to wash their hair with it when I cut it at the 24 hour mark - *that* was strong. But I laughed my butt off when I stuck a fresh bar under hubbie's nose and said, "Smell this." He, obligingly, took a big whiff and then said various unrepeatable words.

After 3 weeks of curing, though, it's definitely mellowed. Now the soap seems to have a kind of earthy scent to it. It's been a while since I smelled pine tar soap but that's what came to mind the first time I used it in the shower.

~Lori

well youve got me convinced, i must do some more experimentation once i get some $$...not having a job right now is killllling me... i want so bad to buy a bunch of EO's and more exotic oils to test with because all ive got now are canola, evoo, and coconut, and not enough EO's to make any appreciable scent stick through the bar of soap...

I was using it on plants though and i got it on my fingers, i swear the smell didnt wash off for a week...needless to say, my girlfriend steered clear of me that week lol

i think it would probably be covered well by woody scents too since neem is a tree oil, i love to experiment...cant wait to start again!

I have one of those instant read infra heat gun reading devices, that is one way i knew, besides asking questions years ago when I was a newbie even before I had the instant read thermometer. Some force gel by putting soap into a 170 to 180 degree oven, because that is how hot the saponification process gets, plus, minus a few degrees.

paul-- you just reminded me of that guy on foodnetwork , i forgot his name..you know the one who does the foodshow involving science and everything...i think he now hosts ironchefamerica too?? i want an infrared thermometer sooo bad ! lol... i could use it for like everything!!

IanT said:
paul-- you just reminded me of that guy on foodnetwork , i forgot his name..you know the one who does the foodshow involving science and everything...i think he now hosts ironchefamerica too?? i want an infrared thermometer sooo bad ! lol... i could use it for like everything!!

ALTON BROWN!!!

Not knowing his name is nigh-on blasphemy! :lol:

hahaha!!! i remember it NOW!! i just couldnt a minute ago! I know it was something different (havent heard many guys named alton)

I think ive watched every one of his episodes!! i think i need to buy the season

IanT said:

Boys -n- their toys..... :roll:

:D :lol: :D :lol:

:lol: Bought it at Harbor Freight for like $20. It was a justifiable business purchase, at least that is what I told the tax accountant! :lol: :lol:

Paul

Latest posts

Back