How has your soapmaking style evolved?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrapgabbie

Reaction score
l am feeling very curious and chatty tonight (possibly too much sugar in all those easter eggs LOL!) and l'm really interested to know...how do you define your soapmaking style, and has it changed as you've learned more?

When l first started l was really into all the bright CP colours and swirls and stuff, the brighter the better, and lots of decorations and wild fragrances etc.

Now l'm really starting to appreciate the more earthy soaps with natural colourings and essential oils in them, l could quite easily get very lost in exploring all of these...l'm finding that l am starting to think about the ingredients that go into the soap, and l'm really starting to think and create my recipes with an end result in mind (ie: for sensitive skin, or soap for babies etc, etc, instead of just thinking 'oooh, that will be pretty' LOL)

Hi Gabbie!

I started out not adding anything to my soaps, wanting to really explore the basics, and get a good recipe base down. I made batches using only one oil just to get the feel for each oil. (I might have to do this again!) I did not use any sort of fragrance or colorant because I just wanted to experience the oils and the soap without distraction.

I then added some fragrances, still trying different soap formulas. I only make/made 1# or 2# batches because I wanted to get the technique down without being overrun with soap. I finally bought a couple of micas to experiment with color and that is all I have ever used. I finally broke down this week and bought some real colorants. I have done fun things with the micas, but want to see what I can do with other colors.

I love the swirls and the cools things that you can do, but I also want to keep the natural thing going as well. I think there is a happy medium for me in both of those ideas. Like you said, it is easy to get lost in it all, which is why it is so addicting!

Good post! Happy Easter!

When I started everything had to be natural: I used coffee, melted chocolate, ground flowers, spices, honey, milk and I didn't add any additional scent, not even EO. I love those soaps still, but I got swayed to the dark side (by my mother of all people :shock: ) and now I am totally in love with FO & colour. I still have about 6 soaps that I make that are still in the original line up but I truly have now rounded it out with colour & scent. I am also finding that my customers are as varied as my soaps and they are teaching me what to carry - some of which really surprises me - which is a delight all in itself.

How's that for a novel?..... :?

i started out doing only hp, with plastic molds and fun colors, now i really like cp and straight rectangle bars with plainer colors and some swirls, im still experimenting with different oils, but really like my "usual" palm, olive, coconut with castor, although i do like shea alot and cocoa, i also tried a few with crisco, look good but havent tried any in shower yet! And.. i love fo's, not as many eo soaps, but lemongrass is the bomb!

Back