How does your palm oil look like?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jofa

Reaction score
Hey guys!

So, I've been trying to make the hardest ever bar of soap, and increased my palm oil proportion, but it doesn't seem do be getting any harder!!

And I've always thought my palm oil (organic, sustainable, etc etc) was weird. It looks like hidrogenated vegetable oil. So it's kinda soft. Not liquid at all, but softer than my coconut oil.

How does your palm oil look/feel like??

Thank you!

Depends on the temperature in the house. In the winter, its hard like coconut but in the summer, its more like room temp butter. If its really hot, there can even be little puddles of liquid oil.
How much are you using in your recipe?

Hi, Obsidian, I'm using 25%. My previous recipe called for 15%.
My palm oil never EVER melts. Not even during the summer months (about 100F or even more). That's weird, isn't it?

Its possible mine was melting due to the small amount and I had stirred it.

You can use more, I use 50% the few times I've used it. If you are ok with animal products, lard makes a nice hard bar.

Try this recipe with 5% superfat

Palm or lard 50%
Olive or avocado 25%
Coconut 20%
Castor 5%

oh, that's interesting! I'm sure gonna experiment with this recipe.

Thank you! :)

I think mine is the same, cmzaha. At least that's written on the box. But the palm guy at the company says it's the same.
I'm pretty sure my palm guy exports to the US, so maybe we even use exactly the same one.
But do you feel that even in "shortening form" it hardens your soap?

Shunt I would love to use lard since it's said to be the best oil for soap, but I can't.

Last edited by a moderator:
You could possibly have Palm Kernel oil if it is not melting .

I have both. Regular palm is soft like butter in the warmer room, like coconut in Winter

Jofa...yes my soap is just as hard as when I use non-homogenized palm. Homogenized Palm is pure palm that is considered no stir palm oil. The palm shortening I use is a light cream color and usually does not melt. When I buy regular palm from my oil supplier it always melts in the summer. Palm Kernel mentioned above is extremely hard and pure white

Hey, Lin and cmzaha, thank you!

Lin, my palm kernel melts like there's no tomorrow, same way my coconut oil does. Go figure. But your description of palm oil is perfect. It's what I use.

cmzaha, I'm glad to hear that your soap is super hard. I'm begining to realize palm makes the soap softer at first, then rock hard. I don't think I can find regular palm oil here. But since you all use it and like it, the homogeneized is just fine.

Hello Obsidian, your recipe you suggested looks like it would be great for a shampoo bar! I may experiment with those oils; interesting regarding palm oil. I am very new to soap making and use mainly olive oil, coconut oil, shea & cocoa butters. thanks for information!

Hello Obsidian, your recipe you suggested looks like it would be great for a shampoo bar! I may experiment with those oils; interesting regarding palm oil. I am very new to soap making and use mainly olive oil, coconut oil, shea & cocoa butters. thanks for information!
Oh my, there is that red flag word again....Soap does not make a good shampoo. I got bashed from another newbie because I told her the same thing.

Hey, Lin and cmzaha, thank you!
Lin, my palm kernel melts like there's no tomorrow, same way my coconut oil does. Go figure. But your description of palm oil is perfect. It's what I use.
Even in the summer my PKO does not melt, but does get a little easier to get out of the bucket since it soften a tad.

No, it will not make a good shampoo bar. As mentioned lye based soap can be very bad for hair. I ruined mine, had to cut it all off.

If you absolutely want to make a shampoo bar, I do have have a better recipe for you to try. PM me if you want it.
You don't want to use lard or palm, as least I didn't, they make too much soap scum.

Latest posts

Back