How does this recipe look?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spenny92

Reaction score
I've been running round in circles on SoapCalc for hours trying to come up with a new base recipe, and I've managed to get one that has nice looking numbers to me, at least. However, I know the numbers are not the be all and end all so can anyone help with what sort of bar this recipe will make?

SAO 8%
Castor 8%
Cocoa butter 10%
Coconut oil 20%
Olive pomace 24%
RBO 20%
Shea butter 10%

Superfat 5%
I've left everything else as whatever SoapCalc came up with - water as percent of oil weight 38%, lye conc 28.399%, water:lye ratio 2.7880:1

The main thing I'm concerned about is the amount of butters - will that be an issue? I'm trying to formulate a palm-free, animal fat free recipe and I can't seem to get a good hardness value without this amount of butters.

It looks like it will be a nice creamy hard bar. The lather might be a bit reduced with that amount of butters but the creaminess will make up for that. 20% butters is the max I would go, I've used that much and its a nice bar.

It looks like it will be a nice creamy hard bar. The lather might be a bit reduced with that amount of butters but the creaminess will make up for that. 20% butters is the max I would go, I've used that much and its a nice bar.

Awesome, thanks Obsidian. Will give it a go! I wasted a lot of good ingredients in the beginning and made some really bad soap, so I'm being overly cautious now!

Make small batches until you get your recipe down. I wasted a ton of money my first year soaping, trying all the fancy oils & butters. If I was you, I would probably do away with the almond oil, just add that amount into the OO. I've often found that simpler is better.

I have a palm free, triple butter recipe I like that has mango, cocoa and shea butters. It's not overly hard, but enough it doesn't melt away after a few uses. Bubbly is great because it's one I use with wine and it's amazing for dry skin. I just can't lay my hands on the recipe at the moment!

Because of my experience with the triple butter recipe, I think yours will be great. Like Obsidian said, at least make a small test batch to make sure it's what you're looking for.

I have a palm free, triple butter recipe I like that has mango, cocoa and shea butters. It's not overly hard, but enough it doesn't melt away after a few uses. Bubbly is great because it's one I use with wine and it's amazing for dry skin. I just can't lay my hands on the recipe at the moment!

Because of my experience with the triple butter recipe, I think yours will be great. Like Obsidian said, at least make a small test batch to make sure it's what you're looking for.

Thanks Krista. I really need to try some mango butter, but I'm trying to keep my costs down at the moment. I've just made 2 big orders of supplies, plus better moulds and a cutter - my boyfriend is going to kill me. :D

I made this recipe today and so far, so good. Apart from I used raspberry tea and powder thinking it would go a lovely red/pink shade but the lye had different ideas - bright orange! :crazy:

Wine soap is on my list of batches to try, too. I have a friend who can donate me their undrinkable home brewed wine, which is handy! What sort of wine do you use? I need to do some more research on that one about preparing the wine.

Wine soap is on my list of batches to try, too. I have a friend who can donate me their undrinkable home brewed wine, which is handy! What sort of wine do you use? I need to do some more research on that one about preparing the wine.

I use the least expensive wine I can buy because the end product will be the same. I've even used wine that had been opened, re-corked, and sat in my fridge for several months. It didn't have an off smell so I made soap out of it and had no problems. Red wines are my favorite because of the beautiful color it adds to the soap.

To prepare wine or beer for soap making, pour it into a sauce pot and add heat, on low. The boiling point of ethanol is approx. 173 F (79 C) so you don't need to bring it to a boil. I just keep my thermometer close by so I can maintain the temp between 175-180 F for about 15 min. Then I pop it into the fridge overnight. You can also freeze it if you want. When mixing the lye into it, put your container into an ice bath to keep it cooler. If you add too much heat to the beer or wine you run the risk of scorching the grains which can add a bit of a burnt smell to the soap. I also recommend mixing it in the sink just in case you end up with a lye volcano.

It's a simple process that just requires a bit of time and planning ahead. Good luck with your home brew! :p

I use the least expensive wine I can buy because the end product will be the same. I've even used wine that had been opened, re-corked, and sat in my fridge for several months. It didn't have an off smell so I made soap out of it and had no problems. Red wines are my favorite because of the beautiful color it adds to the soap.

To prepare wine or beer for soap making, pour it into a sauce pot and add heat, on low. The boiling point of ethanol is approx. 173 F (79 C) so you don't need to bring it to a boil. I just keep my thermometer close by so I can maintain the temp between 175-180 F for about 15 min. Then I pop it into the fridge overnight. You can also freeze it if you want. When mixing the lye into it, put your container into an ice bath to keep it cooler. If you add too much heat to the beer or wine you run the risk of scorching the grains which can add a bit of a burnt smell to the soap. I also recommend mixing it in the sink just in case you end up with a lye volcano.

It's a simple process that just requires a bit of time and planning ahead. Good luck with your home brew! :p

Thanks so much, incredibly helpful!

I always mix my lye in the sink with an ice bath, I'm far too worried and paranoid to do it any other way hah! Do you have a photo of the colour that your red wine soap turned out? Does it smell at all? I've just made a raspberry tea soap, but the colour didn't go to plan and it's turned out orange. I wonder if I made a red wine and raspberry soap, the colour might suit the scent more... Hmmm. So many ideas!!

Sorry spenny, I can't find a photo at the moment and all the soaps are boxed up for my son's wedding. But the color is a deep burgundy with a hint of brown. I guess that would be puce (what a horrible name for a color, lol). I scented the last batch with a raspberry ale FO and it's amazing. Are you thinking of using the raspberry tea again or just raspberry scent. Since your tea turned a really interesting color I have no idea what it would do mixed with the wine. Hmmmm.... Might be a fun experiment!

How's the raspberry tea soap looking? I'm wondering if the color will settle down a bit with cure.

Sorry spenny, I can't find a photo at the moment and all the soaps are boxed up for my son's wedding. But the color is a deep burgundy with a hint of brown. I guess that would be puce (what a horrible name for a color, lol). I scented the last batch with a raspberry ale FO and it's amazing. Are you thinking of using the raspberry tea again or just raspberry scent. Since your tea turned a really interesting color I have no idea what it would do mixed with the wine. Hmmmm.... Might be a fun experiment!

How's the raspberry tea soap looking? I'm wondering if the color will settle down a bit with cure.

Don't worry about it! Ooh, exciting - I love weddings. Sounds like a good match with the red wine, I don't mind a brownish red. I just need it to look different to my other soaps, which are mostly beige/tan/green.

I cut it about an hour ago, and it's not as bad as I thought. Light orange with red flecks from the tea leaves. Will see how it goes with cure. I don't hate it!

Krista, I am going to make wine soap for the first time as my wine-loving sister's birthday gift and wondering which essential oil(s) would go well with it. I am making two different soap, one with Merlot and the other one with Chardonnay. Any suggestion will be much appreciated. Thanks!

Krista, I am going to make wine soap for the first time as my wine-loving sister's birthday gift and wondering which essential oil(s) would go well with it. I am making two different soap, one with Merlot and the other one with Chardonnay. Any suggestion will be much appreciated. Thanks!
This thread is 3 yrs old, it would be better to start a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back