How does this look to you?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuperPhat

Reaction score
I made a batch of soap this afternoon with 2 things in mind.
1. Laundry soap
2. Another rebatching effort (my others have failed miserably, but I think I had misguided expectations :roll: )

soap029.jpg

soap028.jpg

So anyway this was my recipe:
29 oz. coconut oil
3 oz. castor oil
5.8 oz. lye
11.4 oz. water

I had a 1% discount. For plain laundry soap I would have made it 100% coconut, but since I'm going to try to rebatch a bit, I thought I'd throw in a little castor.

I thought it lost heat a little fast, so when I got it insulated I put my heating pad on and let it warm up. I think it may have gotten too hot though. It also got hard really fast so I cut it a few minutes ago. I tried the zap test (YUCK!) and got a nice shocker. Do I just need to let it sit longer to relax a bit?

I loooked after about an hour and the inside seemed to be gelling, but not the outside. Is this going to be a problem? It also developed lots of wrinkles on top...does this have to do with the high heat?

The pictures aren't the best, but the bars turned out pretty good inspite of my mistakes. Sorry that was so many questions...let me know what you think.

Thanks! :D

For laundry soap the best soap is to make lard soap. Meaning all the oils in your soap are either lard or shortening. I personally do 50/50 on them. And it makes a superior stain stick !!!! Better than any commercial stain stick.

But I make my laundry soap a lot differently. Mine is a gel that has the consistency of shampoo almost...... Or at least that is what it reminds me of.

LaundrySoap2.gif

I went with coconut because most of what I read here suggested it...and because that's pretty much all I have right now :)

When it comes to laundry soap, it's a lot different than hand/body soap, which is why simple soap made with lard or shortening is the best.

you can save the more expensive coconut oil, and caster oil for other soaps.

The coconut oil will add more soap scum and that is why it's not desirable for laundry soap.

you can buy a 16 oz box of lard at the grocery store for maybe a hair over a buck and a half. So it's also cheap. But I like to use half shortening and half lard when i make my "stain sticks" which is what I call them, or laundry soap.

Why not try something like this
32 oz lard/shorting mix one or the other or both
4.2 oz lye
12.8 ounce water

I haven't bought laundry soap in many months now, and I only use what I make, and I also sell my homemade laundry soap "mix" meaning my buyers get two parts. A liquid and a powder. And they mix the two together themselves and add their own water and mix it up and use their own containers. It's pretty good stuff........

Back