How does this look for a lard recipe?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Navaria

Reaction score
Taking the lardie leap tomorrow. I've been playing around with recipes and here's what I've come up with. How does it took to you guys?

ETA: Don't pay any attention to the lye or water. I didn't mess with that yet. I'm trying to get the oils down first and then will finalize with that stuff.

Screenshot_2016-04-28-19-22-01.jpg

Last edited:
I don't get why you are using PKO as well as CO, or cottonseed oil, because the more oils you have in there, the less you can tell about what the lard brings to the soap. If you truly want to know what the lard is going to do, keep it to a simple lard, CO, OO, castor oil recipe with known additives.

I personally like the PKO/CO combo in my soaps. It's part of my standard recipe. I carried it over to this one because of that. As far as the cottonseed, I've been sneaking some of my son's body wash (for research of course) which is superfatted with the cottonseed and I have to say I'm kind of liking it. It an easy swap to switch it back to OO if you think it would be better.

I personally like the PKO/CO combo in my soaps. It's part of my standard recipe. I carried it over to this one because of that. As far as the cottonseed, I've been sneaking some of my son's body wash (for research of course) which is superfatted with the cottonseed and I have to say I'm kind of liking it. It an easy swap to switch it back to OO if you think it would be better.

I've never used cottonseed oil, but there's no reason why you shouldn't if you like it. Really, since you're new to lard - trying many varieties of oils yourself is the best way to see what you like.

I agree that using two new oils together will then leave you unsure about which one is doing what in the soap. Make a batch with no cottonseed and one with - doing it this way, we get to make more soap!

And then you get to understand what each oil brings to the party. And how they interact.

If you already know that you like the PKO/CO combo (it is a known combination and you are familiar with how it affects lather), then use that. My only concern is that you might have been trying too many unfamiliar oils at once.

Your recipe looks reasonable to me. I partly base that on the free spirit of exploration, and seeing nothing "wrong" there. Also, with nearly 70% lard, I think you'll get a good feel for what lard is like. Everything else is pretty small, so I personally wouldn't sweat it too much. Not trying to counter anyone; just adding my two cents.

And then you get to understand what each oil brings to the party. And how they interact.

If you already know that you like the PKO/CO combo (it is a known combination and you are familiar with how it affects lather), then use that. My only concern is that you might have been trying too many unfamiliar oils at once.

Oh no. Lard is the only completely new oil in this recipe. I'm not completely crazy :crazy: lol
I like the idea of one batch with OO and one with cottonseed. I'm all about the "research" lol.
Carabou, I've never used such a high % of one oil before. I was hoping it would give me a good feel for what it brings to the table. Even my tried and true uses 25% max of a single oil. So I guess this is another first for me :)

Back