How does ricing affect the soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kikajess

Reaction score
I poured a loaf of soap today, and as I was pouring it, I noticed it starting to look ricey. I finished pouring it anyway. See?

ricing.jpg

I don't know if the ricing is very visible in the photo, but what do you think?

Will I need to rebatch?

I'm hoping the ricing will magically go away during saponification...

I personally wouldn't be too concerned about it unless the soap is separating or something like that when you go to unmold it. I've poured a good handful of ricey batches throughout my years of soaping and they all turned out great. My first ever ricey batch was a doozy and I thought for sure it would be ruined, but to my surprise, it actually set up nice and was perfectly fine in the end without any extra help from me. This is just me, but I'd only rebatch it if it was separating.

By the way, your soap looks perfectly fine from where I'm sitting. :)

IrishLass :)

I just recently poured a very ricey test batch that just would not come together and the soap turned out great. It is even smooth. Just unmold carefully in case you have seperation, but yours looks like it should be fine. If you find it has seperated just rebatch. Iffy soaps like that I usually unmold over a plastic tote lid in case I have to catch oils

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone! It's looking all right so far. I'll probably cut it tomorrow. I have a good feeling about it being usable as is thanks to you all!

Update

My fears of having to rebatch were unfounded. It turned out just fine. The top has a tiny bit of a bumpy-looking texture, but, other than that, everything melded very well. Here's a pic of the sliced loaf:
lav swirl soap.jpg

Latest posts

Back