How Do You "test" Your Soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MellonFriend

Reaction score
This answer to this question might be as simple as "I just use it", but I wanted to be sure. My cure time on my first soap is up tomorrow and I wanted to know if there is anything I should do to test the properties of my soap. I.e. suds it up and measure the properties of the bubbles it produces with as many scientific instruments as possible? 😆

If you're super fancy, let it fall and listen.

No, seriously, you make soap to please your own subjective experience with it. Just ask yourself if you like it. Lather up and enjoy the bubbles. Rinse, smell your hands and wonder if you like the odour. Let your hands dry up, and judge if you like the skin feel when still wet, and when dry. Take notes, and repeat every few weeks, to accompany your soap at ageing.

People have made indentation measurements to determine hardness. People have zealously measured before/after weight to determine longevity. People rub soaps on cloth to test for staining issues. People take photos in regular intervals to determine how the colours are fading. People give it to other people and ask for honest opinions. People just use their soap, because I've heard that's what soap is made for 🤫.
All that isn't strictly necessary. You know yourself best why you have made your soap the way you did – now it's time to evaluate if you have reached your goal(s), and to compare with the wise predictions of the old stagers (but not too early, things might need their time). Anything beyond that is optional.

Ooo, to take out a piece of soap after it is ready to test, still fun in my book! 😍

So, what I do is I wash with it. But, I never judge the soap after just one use.

As I say to everyone who try my soap for the first time; Please don`t judge it after just one try. Use it several times first.

Because sometimes it can have a thin, invisible, waxy layer after cure, that has to come off first, before you reach the best soap.

Oh, and if you want a scientific term for that, it is: Sudsification.
No, I am not kidding. It is a real term!

You`re welcome😄

The soap testing is going really well! I think I'm coming up with excuses to wash my hands at this point. 😅 I've replaced almost all the bar soap in our house with my homemade bars and so far I've had positive feedback from all the users. I'm super duper happy with how it lathers. Nice bubbly stable lather. 😊

Moisturizing and longevity/hardness remain to be seen.

Some people do lather checks when the soap is young but I like to wait the entire cure and then take a leisurely shower to evaluate it.
To be fair, weekly lather checks is a good way for new soapers to learn how much their soap can change in feel in the initial 4-6 week cure stage and it kinda scratches that itch some of us get when we can't wait for an anticipated soap to be ready.

I think it's funny how some men are like that. It's just soap, who cares what it smells like. As if using a certain smell could somehow diminish their manhood. 😄
I think my hubby is a fuddy duddy. He wont use peppermint or cucumber melon but will use citrus and fruity scents. I am like, I can't find my deodorant gimme yours 🤣

I don’t do anything fancy. I just put them in the bathroom and the family uses them not had any complaints so far. Obviously I use it first and wouldn’t unleash it on the family if I wasn’t sure it was ok. I do have about 3 on the go so if I’m testing a new one I remove other soaps so if it’s drying I would know.

So it really isn't just me and this is totally a thing??? Well I never....!

Thansk!

You are welcome 😊

In my experience, it is really a thing. But I don`t know if it is just me? I am not talking about what is referred to as soda ash, but a super thin, invisible and slightly waxy layer I can`t really see. I get soda ash too, if I soap a bit cool and unmolds the soap a bit to early (I use mostly single cavity soap molds as I generously decorate the top of my soaps)

My recipe is with 60% lard. I use a 4% lye discount for the CPSR soaps (my safety asessor told me they don`t allow less than a 4%), but in my personal soaps (I make those just for our family) I always use a 3% lye discount. Still happens. But really, I am not bothered with it, it is mostly gone by the first 1-2 washes (depending on how much you rub the soap when a new one is started)

This answer to this question might be as simple as "I just use it", but I wanted to be sure. My cure time on my first soap is up tomorrow and I wanted to know if there is anything I should do to test the properties of my soap. I.e. suds it up and measure the properties of the bubbles it produces with as many scientific instruments as possible? 😆

I test my soap the same way I "test" anything in life...I simply try it. Caveat: Testing your soap is not unlike testing whiskey...it's not going to be all that great fresh out of the still, it's need to age and then it need to age some more. And then it's simply a matter of what you (or your customers) are wanting in a soap.

Some people do lather checks when the soap is young but I like to wait the entire cure and then take a leisurely shower to evaluate it.
That is exactly what I do...needless to say I have several bars in my shower...top rack back to the drawing board, bottom rack good to go. Thank goodness there is only two bars on that not so good rack.

i've been wondering about the same thing as i'm a beginner in soap making, thank you for this thread @MellonFriend :)
i like what @ResolvableOwl said and the link attached. that's really interesting for me since i love datas and things like that (thank you!)

i personally just use my soaps in the shower and trying my best to feel the difference with different recipes since i'm still looking for the right recipe that works for me (which is hard for me btw, coz my skin is not sensitive).
oh, also i takes notes on how long a bar of soap last with normal use, coz i think its important.
btw, i wonder how long a bar of soap normally last for everyone here? is there a number that's considered as 'proper long lasting' soaps? :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back