how do you test a new CP formula?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andreabadgley

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'm embarrassed to say, but I don't usually make a small test batch when I try a new formula. I do my full 4.5 lbs and just hope for the best. I've got a million new ideas I want to try, though, and I can't afford to make such large batches to test them all.

I have made a couple of 1 lb test batches in the past, but for CP, I don't have a "proper" mold for such a small volume. I've got some heavy duty plastic molds, but I apparently haven't insulated them very well or something because they get extremely ashy when I use them (the molds have separate bar-sized cavities instead of pouring all the batter into a slab or log, so I think they cool too quickly or something without having "buddy heat". When I expand the same formula to a 4.5 lb batch, I do not have the ash problem).

So I'm curious - how do y'all handle your test batches for cold process soaps? What size batch do you typically make to test a new formula, and what do you use for molds? Thank you!

:oops: last time I did a 'test' batch I thought I could pull it off to make 4 kg :lol: Didn't work out haha. Normally I use a tupperware container :wink:

I never do test batches either....or to put it another way - all my batches are test batches so far :lol:

I usually make 900-1300 gram batches, so about half what you make in size. A milk carton makes a great mould and would be ideal for a test batch!

Tanya :)

I don't usually do test batches either. I have had a few mishaps but I usually just rebatch it and it ends up not too bad.

I use round PVC molds and two 2" x 12" pipes make 16-20 guest sized soaps from a 1 pound test batch.

One 3" x 12" PVC pipe makes 4-6 normal 4 oz. hockey puck bars from a 1 pound batch.

When I'm ready to make a larger batch, 4 of the 3" PVC pipes can mold up to 8 pounds. Though depending on additives etc I always keep some sort of spare mold handy for that little bit extra that doesn't quite fit.

I do 1 lb test batches in my 1 lb. wooden, collapsable TOG mold that Paul, aka SoapmakerMan here sells. I love that little mold. In also comes in handy when I want to make a special little batch just for me. :)

IrishLass

Gladware

I made a one pound test batch in a reusable gladware container. And to keep it saponifying I wrapped it in a tea towel.
I will say though, that was the last test batch I did, I just find it more satisfying to work with bigger batches though I think when I try some of my more "out there" ideas I may go back to smaller test batches, just in case they are truly horrible.

Thanks everybody! I seem to always have 1 pt (16 oz/ ~500 ml) half and half containers, so maybe I'll try one of those.

How do you use them? Do you cut the top off and just pour the batter in? Do I need to line the carton, or spray it with oil or anything? And how do you cover and insulate them? I'm assuming at the end you can just cut or peel the carton off of the soap block. Ooh, I'm so excited to try this!

topcat said:
I never do test batches either....or to put it another way - all my batches are test batches so far :lol:
Exactly! And each batch is a learning experience. But one day...........

Digit

Yes Andrea- I just pour the batter in through the top of the carton then sort of press it closed again. To get gel I place it in a small container/box that fits it entirely after wrapping a hand towel around it, maybe packing other towels in the box too. You can cut the top off if you like, and it doesn't need lining with anything. When the soap is ready to unmould just carefully tear it off.

I have also NOT opened one before decanting the milk/juice from it and instead punched a hole in one long side to get the liquid out. Then I have cut that side out to form a log mould. This will want to bow out with the soap batter in it so I have packed many towels firmly beside it inside another bigger box to help the soap hold its shape. Of course one end of the soap log will be an interesting shape!

I use a small wooden log mould, around 500-600g oil to test a new recipe or for a "special" soap using expensive oils and butters.
Have to say I don't use it much though, I'm a gung ho soaper, I research then go for it :wink:

I have a little TOG and I use gladware as often as anything....the little loaf shaped one makes beautiful bars and holds a 1lb batch perfectly.

topcat said:
Yes Andrea- I just pour the batter in through the top of the carton then sort of press it closed again. To get gel I place it in a small container/box that fits it entirely after wrapping a hand towel around it, maybe packing other towels in the box too. You can cut the top off if you like, and it doesn't need lining with anything. When the soap is ready to unmould just carefully tear it off.

Thanks Tanya! That was exactly what I needed to know. I'll let y'all know the first time I try it :)

Latest posts

Back