How do you store your lard?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FragranceGuy

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 4lb tub of Snowcap lard. The container has a generic “pop on” plastic lid, similar to the style of a sour cream container lid. Unlike sour cream, the lard isn’t sealed with a peel back film. So in my mind, it’s essentially already open since the day it was packaged. The best by date is about a year from now. Before I bought it I had researched the shelf life of lard and got conflicting recommendations. Most people said the shelf life of lard is 6 months at room temp or 1 year refrigerated. Others say 3 months max at room temp. Granted, most of these recommendations are coming from the perspective of cooking and taste. I believe that if an oil tastes off, it’s probably oxidizing, which means it’s changing chemically and therefore is likely changing the way it behaves during saponification, even if only subtly. So... How do all you Lardinators store your lard? What are your experiences?? I have limited fridge space at this time and am mostly interested in room temperature storage. Thanks!!

I freeze any animal fat because I just don't use it often, so I'm not much help! But, I did want to say I agree with you in that if an oil is past its prime for cooking I too consider it past its prime for soaping. I may clean oil that has started to smell or taste off, but I won't cook or soap with it until then. :)

Last edited:
I recently purchased a 4lb tub of Snowcap lard. The container has a generic “pop on” plastic lid, similar to the style of a sour cream container lid. Unlike sour cream, the lard isn’t sealed with a peel back film. So in my mind, it’s essentially already open since the day it was packaged. The best by date is about a year from now. Before I bought it I had researched the shelf life of lard and got conflicting recommendations. Most people said the shelf life of lard is 6 months at room temp or 1 year refrigerated. Others say 3 months max at room temp. Granted, most of these recommendations are coming from the perspective of cooking and taste. I believe that if an oil tastes off, it’s probably oxidizing, which means it’s changing chemically and therefore is likely changing the way it behaves during saponification, even if only subtly. So... How do all you Lardinators store your lard? What are your experiences?? I have limited fridge space at this time and am mostly interested in room temperature storage. Thanks!!

A small container of 4 lbs I would use up in no time so I wouldn’t hesitate to store it at room temperature. In the fridge is even better though. That said...I store my 50lb box of lard in my unheated porch until it gets too warm and then I bring it into my house in the summer where the temperature doesn’t get above 72. I use it up within 6 months but I’m sure it would be fine for longer at that temp. Same with palm and tallow. They do not require refrigeration but I personally wouldn’t feel comfortable keeping them in a very hot environment.

I use store bought lard for soaping since it's easier. it came in a regular plastic container with a seal but had been opened as soon as it arrived. I store it in a cupboard so it's not exposed to sunlight. My place is heated throughout the winter and its quality hadn't change from when I bought it 8 months ago.
I also have a small tub of lard that I rendered myself. I use it for cooking and only use a little at a time, so I've only used about half tub ever since I rendered in back in the summer of 2019. It sits in a cheap air-tight plastic container and had been in my fridge (not freezer) for all its life. Still smells and tastes fine.

A small container of 4 lbs I would use up in no time so I wouldn’t hesitate to store it at room temperature. In the fridge is even better though. That said...I store my 50lb box of lard in my unheated porch until it gets too warm and then I bring it into my house in the summer where the temperature doesn’t get above 72. I use it up within 6 months but I’m sure it would be fine for longer at that temp. Same with palm and tallow. They do not require refrigeration but I personally wouldn’t feel comfortable keeping them in a very hot environment.
Where did you get your 50lb lard box from. I'm thinking about getting one from soaper's Choice.

I use Armour lard in the tubs because that is the brand available to me. It does have a seal under the lid. I used that amount up pretty quickly, so just stored it at room temp in my basement which is about 65 - 68 all year long. Because I use lard so often, I now buy 50 lbs. When it arrives, I repackage it into gallon containers and keep it in the freezer. I will use that amount within a year.

@Todd Ziegler I wouldn't hesitate to order from Soaper's Choice. I've been buying a deodorized lard in 50 lb. quantities but the last time I ordered it, it seemed harder to find. It is manufactured by Ventura Foods and there are several distributors. Amazon did have it at one time - maybe still does - but it wasn't the best price.

Where did you get your 50lb lard box from. I'm thinking about getting one from soaper's Choice.

I get mine from Bakers Authority. It’s Armour and it’s $54. They are in I think Brooklyn, NY so shipping is usually only $15 and I usually wait until they are offering a 10% off coupon. Last time I ordered it came out to $64 shipped. I cant beat that unless you can buy that much locally and avoid shipping.

I would store my 50# blocks in my service porch room which stayed at least 10 degrees cooler than my house, the block would last me 5-7 months. Some Business Costco Stores carry the blocks of lard and so do Smart and Final stores, which is where I purchased mine, preferring the lard from Smart and Final, Restaurant Supply also carries blocks of lard.

I buy my tallow in 50lb cubes, and portion it out into 1 gallon ziplock baggies, they smoosh flat for better storage in the freezer. I portion them out by weight used in my masterbatch, so when I need to masterbatch I can just grab a baggie and go. (I actually do this with all my hard oils except CO)

If you are concerned with using up a 4lb bucket of lard, I would apply the same method but in smaller qty. If you have a recipe you like using it, portion out the lard qty into freezer baggies, label, and freeze.

I use a lot of lard (comparatively speaking) but I was wondering about storing a 50lb box. At about $50/box, it's half the price of buying a lb at a time but I'm just not sure how fast I would use up that much. I live in condo and have no freezer or fridge space.
My normal batch is 1000 gr of oil with 550 gr being lard. That equates to approx 40 something batches. 1 batch a week is 40 weeks so I figure on average it might last 6 months... do you think that's too long to let it sit out. My place is usually at 70 degress or so.

I use a lot of lard (comparatively speaking) but I was wondering about storing a 50lb box. At about $50/box, it's half the price of buying a lb at a time but I'm just not sure how fast I would use up that much. I live in condo and have no freezer or fridge space.
My normal batch is 1000 gr of oil with 550 gr being lard. That equates to approx 40 something batches. 1 batch a week is 40 weeks so I figure on average it might last 6 months... do you think that's too long to let it sit out. My place is usually at 70 degress or so.

I live in a very small space. The 50lb box isn’t that big. I find all kinds of space to squirrel it away. I’ve used three in the past year. The shelf life is 12 months. If you can find a cool enough place to store it you will be fine. I go from heating to air conditioning, so the humidity level is pretty constant.

Back