How do you stop Oatmeal from scratching soap when you cut it?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twaburds

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am making an OMH loaf. The last time I made it I put collodial (ground) oatmeal thru the bar and oatmeal on top. When I cut it the oatmeal on top dragged thru the soap leaving marks and lines on the bars. :(

Is there a way to avoid this as I have seen some soaps with oats on top which look lovely and dont appear to have had this problem.

Thanks

Ashley

Hi guys,

I am making an OMH loaf. The last time I made it I put collodial (ground) oatmeal thru the bar and oatmeal on top. When I cut it the oatmeal on top dragged thru the soap leaving marks and lines on the bars. :(

Is there a way to avoid this as I have seen some soaps with oats on top which look lovely and dont appear to have had this problem.

Thanks

Ashley

Turn your soap loaf on the side. I always do this when putting a bit of oatmeal on top. Unless I forget and then I get the drag marks.

Anytime you put anything on top it's the best way to cut them.

yeah, kinda realised thats how you would do it about 5 minutes after posting this and couldnt work out how to delete the post!

thanks for your help tho!

Ash

Why would you use a bandsaw? Seems a little over board for soap. But, I suppose if it works for you what the heck! :)

I've only done it once, and it was for a loaf with Oatmeal.

It was scratching, and I remembered seeing a video a long time ago on French Milled Soap and they used a ban saw to cut their soap.

It worked well, but I had to clean the blade off.

Latest posts

Back