How do you stop Oatmeal from scratching soap when you cut it?

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

twaburds

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am making an OMH loaf. The last time I made it I put collodial (ground) oatmeal thru the bar and oatmeal on top. When I cut it the oatmeal on top dragged thru the soap leaving marks and lines on the bars. :(

Is there a way to avoid this as I have seen some soaps with oats on top which look lovely and dont appear to have had this problem.

Thanks

Ashley

shunt2011

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am making an OMH loaf. The last time I made it I put collodial (ground) oatmeal thru the bar and oatmeal on top. When I cut it the oatmeal on top dragged thru the soap leaving marks and lines on the bars. :(

Is there a way to avoid this as I have seen some soaps with oats on top which look lovely and dont appear to have had this problem.

Thanks

Ashley
Turn your soap loaf on the side. I always do this when putting a bit of oatmeal on top. Unless I forget and then I get the drag marks.

Anytime you put anything on top it's the best way to cut them.

twaburds

Reaction score
yeah, kinda realised thats how you would do it about 5 minutes after posting this and couldnt work out how to delete the post!

thanks for your help tho!

Ash

shunt2011

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Why would you use a bandsaw? Seems a little over board for soap. But, I suppose if it works for you what the heck! :)

Saipan

Reaction score
Why would you use a bandsaw? Seems a little over board for soap. But, I suppose if it works for you what the heck! :)
I've only done it once, and it was for a loaf with Oatmeal.

It was scratching, and I remembered seeing a video a long time ago on French Milled Soap and they used a ban saw to cut their soap.

It worked well, but I had to clean the blade off.