How Do You Recycle/Upcycle Rice Packing Peanuts?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KristaY

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I received an order from Peak Candle Supply today that's filled with rice packing peanuts. Peak (and Colorado in general) is awesome at environmental awareness so I don't want to just dump them in my garbage can. I wonder how they would do mixed in potting soil when spring finally makes an appearance. Would they make a big ricey blob in the pot? How do you guys use them?

I usually save the non-biodegradable peanuts for re-packing stuff I mail but since these just sort of melt away with water, I was hoping they'd be beneficial somewhere other than my packaging storage, lol. Since it's been raining, snowing and hailing steadily for about 10 days, maybe I should just toss some out in the yard and see what happens. The bunnies, birds and squirrels might enjoy a treat. Wait...is it safe for wildlife? Now I have another worry....

I usually save the non-biodegradable peanuts for re-packing stuff I mail but since these just sort of melt away with water, I was hoping they'd be beneficial somewhere other than my packaging storage, lol. Since it's been raining, snowing and hailing steadily for about 10 days, maybe I should just toss some out in the yard and see what happens. The bunnies, birds and squirrels might enjoy a treat. Wait...is it safe for wildlife? Now I have another worry....

The non-biodegradable gets used in oversized pottery planters, you pour them in the bottom, a layer of newspaper then your potting soil and plants, it makes them so much easier to move, gives good room for roots to grow, , takes les potting soil, and, in this instance at least, doing something good for the environment.

Does anyone know if the WSP ones are biodegradable? Is there a way to tell?

Stick one in your mouth and see if it melts and tastes like a cheetos without cheese :).

Ok maybe that's just me.... but you can stick one under running water (outside preferably, not sure I'd want it in the drain) and it'll turn to goo pretty quick. If it doesn't, it's normal. They have their own smell too when compared to the non degrabeable ones!

With those biodegradable ones, my kids play with them. If you wet the sides they stick together and you can build things. My kids made it up and I think it's brilliant. They have made houses, little figures, furniture and what not. They will be going in the compost when the fun is used up. The painted ones will go in the trash though.

When we were starving students, one of my cohorts liked to snack on those :)

I would compost them or give them to someone with a compost pile, I don't think it would hurt the critters if you put them out was a snack either.

Back