How do YOU melt pounds of M&P?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would think that spigot would be hard to clean too.
I would think that you would melt the soap in there, and use another container to mix color and frag.

Does the spigot ever get clogged?

After seeing this thread, I went to Wal-mart and bought the one listed above. I really like it. No spigot, but it is light and I just pour it into measuring cups for mixing with color, oils and inclusions. I have found that you can keep it on "warm" and it will stay melted while you use what you need.

I found an easy way to clean it.... just fill it about 3/4 full with water when you have removed the soap. There is always that soap scum, but heating the water to about 300 or 400 degrees, lets all the soap melt into the water, and then you simply just pour it out and wipe it clean. Easy peasy. Now, this does have the no-stick coating, but I am using rubber spatulas and whisks and there aren't any marks on it.

In a nutshell, I'm gladl I saw this thread, because this makes it so much easier!

One more thing I did with this... in one batch there was just a little bit of soap left. It was just enough to fill the bottom about 1/8" - 1/4". So, before the cleaning, I cooled the pot down. This let the soap on the bottom harden a bit. I pulled it up (came up very easily) and used cookie cutters to cut shapes from it. This worked really well because it was a fairly large surface. I'm sure I could have also made some curly Q's if I had thought about it. Once I peeled it up, I did the cleaning with the water.

Going to keep my eye open for something like these.

Genius with the cookie cutters!~

I find the soap kettle perfectly easy to clean. You can often just grab an edge of remaining soap and pull it up in sheets. Any remaining soap, just add hot water to the pot swoosh around with a scrubber/dish cloth and it's clean. There's no need for hard scrubbing or anything.

Back