How do you manage large batches?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mel55

Reaction score
Hi
I currently make all my own hair and skin care. I have perfected a couple of my products for my own use but because some friends and family like them too I find I have to make batches often as I have trouble making more than about 600gm a time in my kitchen. Any advice for making about litre of lotion at a time? The biggest problem I have is fitting two phases of a lotion in a double boiler (I do use the microwave for some things) and also having a large enough container for stick blending. Any advice welcome.

Well, I don't make large batches so this is just thinking... but instead of the double boiler, could you just use a waterbath in a big saucepan with some measuring cups in it? That's what I use for melting the things -- just put them in the measuring cup, put the cup in the saucepan, and that's it.
No suggestions about blending. I think some here have some commercial blenders for large batches.

My normal batch is 1,000 grams/1 liter/35 oz. I do not use a double boiler. I heat each phase in the microwave. Be sure to use a microwave safe bowl for the water phase that is large enough to hold a liter of lotion plus head room for stick blending.

1. Weigh and combine water phase ingredients. Heat to 170°F (77°C). Cover hold at 170°F (77°C) for 20 minutes.

2. Weigh and combine oil phase ingredients. Heat to 170°F (77°C) and remove from heat. Gently stir. Cover and hold until the water phase is ready.

3. Pour the oil phase into the water phase. Keep stick blender near the bottom of the bowl and blend. Move the stick blender around so the lotion is well mixed (about 2-3 minutes).

4. Stop blending briefly. Place bowl into an ice water bath in sink. You only need enough water to come up to the level of the lotion in the bowl. Continue to stick blend. When the mixture turns an even white color, blend it until thickened, incorporated and cooled (about 2-3 minutes).

5. Check the weight to make sure you have 1000 grams (35 ounces). Add more water to replace what may have evaporated.

6. Place the bowl back into the ice water bath and resume mixing until the lotion is about 95°-100°F (35°-38°C) (this should take no more than 1-3 minutes more). Remove the bowl from the water and place it on the counter.

7. Add preservative and mix well. (Add fragrance now or later.)

8. Pour lotion into a gallon ZipLoc bag when it has cooled, but not "set up". It will continue to set up (for approximately 24 hours). Seal the bag but leave an inch or more open to release condensation.

9. Snip the corner of the bag and dispense into containers.

HTH
Wave.gif

Latest posts

Back